Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester mod 70 One Piece Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,

I bedded my father in laws model 70. It’s a pushfeed 30/06 an it has 2 ocean bottom metal. I’m not a big fan of the 2 piece especially that Center screw. Where is a good place to get one piece? And what one should I order. The gun is gloss blued.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’d check Midwest gun works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sunny Hill would be my preference. You'd need the post-64 Long action one.

Posts: 583 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used PTG, not sure if they have gloss blue though.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock inletting is different also.

Posts: 549 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the one piece won't fit the stock without some fairly large inletting.
The two piece is the original 1937 design and nothing wrong with it.
I prefer it over the one piece.

Posts: 17186 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, the one piece won't fit the stock without some fairly large inletting.
The two piece is the original 1937 design and nothing wrong with it.
I prefer it over the one piece.

Thaks Guys.

Thanks dpcd,

I'm having trouble getting the center screw torqued tight with and floorplate closing properly. The center screw needs to be loose for the floor plate to function. Also, the front of the trigger guard hits the mag box when the center screw is torqued tight.

I don't know what the torque should be for the center screw.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The middle screw is about finger tight stuff.

I like the 2 piece and the box does not have to fit in it.

To assemble.

Front screw loose and back screw loose. Middle screw loose. Close floor plate and all will line up. Tighten front screw right up and back screw as a normal tang screw and middle screw not much more than finger tight.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:

To assemble.

Front screw loose and back screw loose. Middle screw loose. Close floor plate and all will line up. Tighten front screw right up and back screw as a normal tang screw and middle screw not much more than finger tight.

Thank you very much. I see where I screwed up.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes like they said, do not try to torque the center screw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you torque the front screw to spec without the trigger guard in place and the floorplate doesn't lay flat, you gotta bed the tab.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Or use a piece of gasket paper, which works as well and is quicker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:

To assemble.

This.
Sometimes a light smack with a nylon hammer on the end of the floor plate to nudge the assy. forward right before tightening the whole mess up will help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Torque the center screw and you warp the action for lack of a better term, that may be a little harsh!! it should be almost loose but tight enough to stay put and allow the floorplate to close and leave no gap between the wood and floorplate....The front screw tight and the rear screw snug..At least all my mod. 70s have shot best that way and glassed that way...May have to tinker with screw tension in some cases to make it shoot best..Custom screws that snug up tight the last two turns are a good option once you get the gun shooting.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42004 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Worked like a charm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Model 70 may utilize the center screw as a functional part of the bedding system if that portion of the receiver, as well as the tongue of the trigger guard, is supported by bedding or a pillar. Not sure it makes any real difference in performance but I kind of like to do it. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3582 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
A Model 70 may utilize the center screw as a functional part of the bedding system if that portion of the receiver, as well as the tongue of the trigger guard, is supported by bedding or a pillar. Not sure it makes any real difference in performance but I kind of like to do it. Regards, Bill

I think I bedded the M70 and Rem 700 just every way possible and with about everything that could be used to bed a rifle.

But I have never done that with the M70 Smiler

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used aluminum, steel, and fibreglas. I have also machined full length bedding blocks of aluminum. There is not a lot of room for the pillar but there is enough. As I said, I can't honestly claim it makes a real difference though I suppose I could make that claim if I wanted to blow smoke. It just feels better to me. On some of my target rifles, those which I have filled in the magazine cut-out, I bed the front, bed the center, and float the tang. Works well but, again, it's pretty hard to make any claim of superiority for the system. When there are so many gunsmiths and shooters who do things differently and shoot as well or better than I, I would have to be a blowhard or a fool, or both, to claim my way is better. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3582 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote