Find
Notify
Tools

rechambering a barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
could a 300 win mag chambered barrel be rechambered for 300 H&H?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No. the H&H (even though it is longer) has a sharp taper and the WM is blown out. So the chamber would not clean up at all. Unless you want a unique 300 mag with a double shoulder in it called the .300 Bluefish.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Ha! What would the shank and 26" muzzle diameter need to be to rebore up to 375? i assume the muxxle could be trimmed back to get enough meat for the rebore? could the barrel still balance well?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, won't work either; 300 shoulder is .477; 375 case at the same place is .448. Double shoulder thing again.
I know, I like to use old barrels but I do not like re-boring unless trying to restore a unique barrel whose outside configuration you like. Otherwise, get a new one.
Shank is no problem as the 375 pressures will be less than a 300. Muzzle; I like them bigger rather than smaller; I like .650 min with .750 better. No it would not balance well for me. It is more a matter of recoil than strength; discuss all this with a rebore guy.
But,, check the 375 taper too, as it might not clean up a 300 wm chamber either. I will check it later. soon. today.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
interesting. i would hve thought a rebore to the 375 could take care of the whole thing.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You can probably get away with going from the .300 Win Mag to a .300 Weatherby Mag.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Easiest way I have found to determine if a barrel can rechamber and to what is Ammoguide.

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/a...er.cgi?sn=BXTDvxtdLK

Usually is pretty accurate.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
i see the rechamber is out but wondering about reboring. perhaps a rebore may be more feasible to a 338 or 9.3 caliber.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
i see the rechamber is out but wondering about reboring. perhaps a rebore may be more feasible to a 338 or 9.3 caliber.

If your goal is to get a larger caliber magnum round, there is no reason you can't have your .300 WM rebored and the chamber enlarged to take an .300 WM case with an expended neck diameter and throat.

But why bother? You'd still have a wildcat for which there is no factory ammo available.

I've had .30-'06 barrels rebored and re-chambered to .358 Norma Mag which worked out well for me , but today I wouldn't bother doing that simple conversion either. There are too many good barrels around at inexpensive prices to bother.

Better, in my mind , would be to simply buy a used rifle made for the cartridge you want. Probably less money and less worries. And you could spend the left over loot "personalizing" your "new old" rifle.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, What Alberta said.