New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sterling Davenport article
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read the review of rifles built by Sterling Davenport in the recent American Hunter Magazine. Did I read correctly that he builds and sells a M70/Mauser actioned semi-custom gun for around $3500? Seemed too good to be true.

Any comments on this or his rifles?

Posts: 10379 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure didn't see anything remotely like that when I visited with him at the DSCI.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I read the review of rifles built by Sterling Davenport in the recent American Hunter Magazine. Did I read correctly that he builds and sells a M70/Mauser actioned semi-custom gun for around $3500? Seemed too good to be true.

Any comments on this or his rifles?

From what I have seen the information would be outdated. I have a flier around here that as i recaldl was close to that, but 4-5 years ago when i got it. That may have been with the buyer supplied action, I don't remembver without hunting the flyer in the files

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ross,
I have three of Sterling's rifles, a .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .416 Remington. All are excellent rifles and are as impressive on paper as they are to look at. Sterling is one of the most reasonable custom gunmakers I have run across but I believe that price would be if you supplied an action and wood blank. In Dallas I looked over a few of his rifles and they were top notch in fit and finish... a 9.3X62 on a CZ action, .500 Jeff on a Mauser and a .244 H&H on a Winchester M70. I need to call Sterling on another issue and I can clarify this for you if you want. Or if you know Leonard Burke from Oklahoma, give him a shout and he would know. He has had Sterling build him a number of rifles.
Cheers,
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent. thanks for the update

Posts: 10379 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a book with good coverage on Sterling's work. And have met him a couple of times. Very talented and a gentleman to boot.

The best I remember he is slowing down a little and has a son who is taking up some of the slack.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote