Find
Notify
Tools

chapuis DR scope base screws????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
ive got some really nice snap-on screwdrivers.... and cant find 1 thin enough to remove the screws that hold the base blanks in... any idea as to what size is needed????.. mine are 3/16 x .020...and its too thick...the set ive got is the electronic srewdrivers set....help????... or its going to tip burns saturday....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jim,

Grace USA has a screw driver set specifically for Browning shotgun screws which are very thin. The Grace Product number is #HG-5. The telephone number I have for Grace is 231-264-8133 in Williamsburg, Michigan. Brownells carries Grace as well.

I have never tried these on a Chapius.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Jim - i've removed several sets of these and reccomend a cheap screwdriver and a file.

Just shape the scewdriver (with the file) to fit the slot.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least use a Hollow-Ground screw driver to keep from marring the screw slot.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least use a Hollow-Ground screw driver to keep from marring the screw slot.

I recommend the "cheap" screwdriver but not filing it to fit. If you grind it on a wheel, it will be "hollow ground" and fit the slot better. Just be sure to keep it cool by dipping it in water after a short period on the wheel. Don't let it turn blue from the friction. Grind a little, cool a little until it fits the slot.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Concur; my 'smith had to grind a screwdriver to fit them.

Also, the Allen screws on the rings are METRIC (2.5mm I believe).

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote