New
Find
Notify
Tools

smoothing out the rifling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi just wanted to know if some one could help me.
I got a Rem. model 700BDL SS 270 win. 24" barrel.
What i'm wanting to do is smooth out the rifling in the barrel for a one hole shot tack driving
rifle.I would really appreciate any and all your help.and or anything else that i can do to make it a tack driving rifle.or a 5 one hole shot.
Thank You

Idaho Bob

Posts: 41 | Location: Idaho USA | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a few different opinions on barrel break in. I followed the clean after every shot for the first five, then clean after five shots, then clean after 20. Some people say other ways are better, this link is to Varmit Al's site, he actually uses a metal polish, check it out.

http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/ashot.htm

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Idaho Bob,

First thing you want to do is to start saving your money. It takes a lot more than smoothing out the riflings on a factory produced gun to make it a "1 hole" shooter. This degree of precision demands perfection from end to end. By end to end I mean from the shooter to the target and everything in between.

If you are talking about making your existing rifle more accurate than it currently is, then there are things you can do, but it will never be a "1 holer", meaning more than 1 round per hole, without some MAJOR expense.

Good luck,

Malm

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
The first thing to do is replace the factory barrel with a Krieger or other premium barrel. Second, you need to take your factory gun to a competent gunsmith and have it properly rebuilt. (action squared, barrel fitted, properly chambered, action bedded, and a proper stock) Basically rebuilt from the ground up.

OR you might just be the lucky 1 in 50 that has a tack driver out of the box.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
How bad does it shoot now?

one of us
posted Hide Post
tbob38
it dont shoot bad at all i got it at 5/8" @100 yards.
and that is with a factory loads hornady 140gr. btsp.

Idaho Bob

Posts: 41 | Location: Idaho USA | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
I don't think I'd screw with the barrel until I did some load development first.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
bullseye - If you could shoot a consistent 5/8" group with factory loads, you could enter in most any regional target competition shoot and place very high just on composite score. Just a thought...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Why are you concerned with a rifle that is approaching .5 MOA with factory ammo? Shoot it and enjoy.

Jim

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
338 Lapua told it right....

If you have a factory rifle that shoots well under an inch CONSISTENTLY with factory ammo you already have a 1 in 20 rifle and you're not likely to improve it noticably

Or you can spend a bunch of money just as Malm told you to take it to the next level....

Reload for it and try to tighten up your groups but don't sweat it if you don't get far below 1/2" groups...

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote