New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much to lighten up an action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see sometimes people have a commercial action milled to look like an old M98 especially the G33/40. Who does this kind of work and how much does it usually cost? I looked at Twisted Barrel, but don't like the way they slab the action.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
You can get it fluted. I charge about $50 per flute to do the work. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and I don't work on out of country stuff anymore because of the laws.
I have seen some of the stuff that dpcd has posted and he seems more than capable if he's up to it. You can ask.

Gunsmith Rod Henrickson Light 700 by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Here is how it's done. The action is held on a mandrel and done exactly the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNXOdCYbx4

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work

$50.00 a flute no matter how long?

I am counting 10 plus flutes.

Just trying to get a handle on it.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Nice work

$50.00 a flute no matter how long?

I am counting 10 plus flutes.

Just trying to get a handle on it.

Wwweellll $50 per flute is more for barrels.

An action like that would be by the hour so probably $400 to $500. 12 flutes on the bolt with a broken space on the bottom to keep the cartridges from chirping. 6 flutes on the action body and 7 flutes on the shroud.

dpcd would do it just for the FUN of it ! he he he

ADD NOTE: I have also cut a couple of tear drop shaped flutes on the rear tang for guys. That looks mighty kinky too.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer,

For the action you fluted above, what was the final weight difference before and after?

I have skeletonized a couple to shave weight, but not gone the flute it route.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
$50 a line?

We ain't talking flutes are we?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Speer,

For the action you fluted above, what was the final weight difference before and after?

I have skeletonized a couple to shave weight, but not gone the flute it route.

Jeremy

Well. Fluting a short action bolt removes 1 ounce. Fluting the action and the shroud probably removes 3/4 of an ounce to one ounce if you do the tang too. Suffice to say any sort of action lightening is only done to look cool. Not to save weight. Despite what the Hollywood gunsmiths say. Those guys can make an ounce weigh as much as an elephant if they want too.

I can save you a ton of weight, if you will let me take a hatchet to that Filipino/Chinese made Vortex or Night Force scope and let me install a 2x7 Leupold compact scope on it ?

popcorn

Yeah . . . . . . . I didn't think so. he he he

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
$50 a line?

We ain't talking flutes are we?

.050 inch deep on the bolts and .130 inch deep on the action body Ted.

Between you and me, they are slightly difficult to remove, scratches. But I make up for it in VOLUME of scratches ! Us big-time-gunplumbers have to use made up words like flute, blueprint, accraglass, accutrigger and throw out AISI/SAE steel numbers like politicians throw out promises to get work. It's the code of the west !

coffee

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have done it; (sometimes for fun); realize that you end up with a large thread, small ring, Mauser. With the other 33/40 lightening cuts. It's not rocket surgery.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Wow $500 for .75-1.75 oz shocker

Looks cool but can't see it to make things lighter. Felt the same way when MG arms quoted their $$ for their light weight rifle.

Unless you want it for looks. Far easier and cheaper to take the weight out of the stock. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A customer once had me do the VZ-33 thingy to an HVA small ring. Some one had told him that it would shave a pound or three off the action. I told him it might remove a couple ounces at best but he assured me that he had been taking to Hollywood Gunplumber and old Hollywood had assured him that he would have to ensure it was loaded to keep it from blowing away in light breezes. Back then I think I charged him all of about $75 to do the work and polish it up to shine like a hound dogs tooth.
It was kind of comical to watch him weigh it on his scale time after time and remeasure every cut to make sure that I had taken every .0005 inch of steel off to Hollywood's recommended dimensions.
20 years later I still remember that job. But not because of the work I did. He had wanted a wood stock made out of a piece of AAA claro he had and of course I was about $800 over the price of some other clown who was working out of his basement. The guy did a nice job on it but had elected to glass bed it and forgot about all of my lightning cuts. They broke the stock into about 5 pieces trying to get it out of the bedding. Lightning cuts make dandy accraglass anchors. coffee

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lightning cuts make dandy accraglass anchors

rotflmo Never thought of that one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Far easier and cheaper to IMHO to lose some weight and/or spend a couple of months in the gym. US soldiers stormed Omaha Beach with around a hundred pounds of kit and some hunters freak out at an extra 6 oz.? Gimme a break. The next complaint will be the rifle kicks too hard.

quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

Looks cool but can't see it to make things lighter. Felt the same way when MG arms quoted their $$ for their light weight rifle.

Unless you want it for looks. Far easier and cheaper to take the weight out of the stock. Wink

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Far easier and cheaper to IMHO to lose some weight and/or spend a couple of months in the gym. US soldiers stormed Omaha Beach with around a hundred pounds of kit and some hunters freak out at an extra 6 oz.? Gimme a break. The next complaint will be the rifle kicks too hard.

quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

Already heard that one at a recent gun show. The guy was talking about his SKS.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well it's a .243 so I doubt it kicks too hard, and I've already lost more than 20lbs. Oh and by the way your argument is a stupid one. I've been a soldier all my adult life except with a five year break in service. Four years of that was light infantry in the 82 Airborne, so I know what it's like to carry heavy things on my back and in my hand for many a klick. The main difference between military and civilian, the civilians get the choice as to what gear they have to carry.

I bought a MRC Extreme X2 rifle that I'm not happy that it came in 11oz over the specifications on the manufacturer's web page. The manufacturer has agreed to "see what they can do" but there is no way they're going to get 11oz shaved off with the options he's giving me (aluminum trigger guard or rework stock to a blind magazine). I'm more concerned with how the rifle feels though, the weight distribution seems way off. When you hold the rifle in one hand on the belly it feels like I'm holding a brick, not holding a balanced rifle.

Twisted Barrel is $120 for six flutes and told me he'd take off approximately 6oz from the barrel. An aluminum trigger guard or blind mag conversion get's me another 6oz. That's 12oz savings in total but I think the rifle will still feel like a brick in my hand. I could probably get someone to turn the shank on the barrel down as well and that could get me another ounce or two. MRC actions are heavy from what I've read, and I'm just brainstorming trying to improve the feel and balance of a rifle.

I'm on the fence if I'm even going to keep the rifle, and just exploring options that might be available. Right now metal work is cheaper than a a new lightweight stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or one of theses at 5.5lbs

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH

Most likely if one finds a friendly dealer the price could not be much more then the fluting job

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is why I was in Armor units; tanks. We have no need to carry anything on our backs at any time. I actually felt sorry for the Infantry, slogging through the mud in the freezing rain, carrying those 100 pound rucks, whilst I was telling the driver to turn the damn heater down. This was one of many, actual occurrences.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Man, thats going to make a Remington 700 even lighter!

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

This kind of post always comes along when light rifles are being discussed

I have spent the vast part of my adult life fighting the uphill battle of staying in shape. Months if not years spent in the gym and shoes pounding the road.

Anyone that wants to tell me to loose "more" weight or get in "better" shape so a heavy rifle or a heavy pack won't bother me on day 7 at 10k can take a flying sucks at my d☆☆k.....

Why?

Because my broken down worn out body does indeed count the ounces it can or can't haul

I know pain very well.....she is the bitch that always shows up to remind us we are human.....

No mater how hard we prepare our body

Every ounce you haul hurts you when your over 4 miles from the truck

But if I were only lighter.....and in better shape......

thank you very much

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote by "Bobster

posted 12 January 2016 05:01

Far easier and cheaper to IMHO to lose some weight and/or spend a couple of months in the gym. US soldiers stormed Omaha Beach with around a hundred pounds of kit and some hunters freak out at an extra 6 oz.? Gimme a break. The next complaint will be the rifle kicks too hard".

Wow Bobster that was spoken like someone who walks all the way from his ATV to his tree stand and back.
You would change your tune if you carried your rifle miles a day on your back at an altitude of 9000 to 14000 feet.
Not to mention he ordered a rifle that showed up weighing 11 ounces greater than the specified weight. That's what this discussion is about, not about you telling him to lose weight and get in better shape.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The novelty of working in this industry is that you're making hay when the sun shines and Safeway becomes your favorite hunting ground.
I always make a point of selecting a buggy without wobbly wheels. I can rip right passed those thunder chicks pretending to be grazing in the produce section, straight through to the meats and deli section and back to the checkout without breaking a sweat.

popcorn

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:

Resulted in this response ...

quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
Well it's a .243 so I doubt it kicks too hard, and I've already lost more than 20lbs. Oh and by the way your argument is a stupid one. I've been a soldier all my adult life except with a five year break in service. Four years of that was light infantry in the 82 Airborne, so I know what it's like to carry heavy things on my back and in my hand for many a klick. The main difference between military and civilian, the civilians get the choice as to what gear they have to carry.

LMFAO!!! animal

Checkmate Boobster ... You can crawl back in your hole now! sofa

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That is why I was in Armor units; tanks. We have no need to carry anything on our backs at any time. I actually felt sorry for the Infantry, slogging through the mud in the freezing rain, carrying those 100 pound rucks, whilst I was telling the driver to turn the damn heater down. This was one of many, actual occurrences.

Best time of my life was slugging through the mud with my buddies. Jumped into JRTC with an actual weighed 130 lbs of gear including my parachute. I was so happy to leave that parachute behind at the RP. Rained on us during the jump and then the temp dropped on us, one of the coldest nights in Louisiana state history for January. Had to walk around all night just to keep warm since it was something like 12 degrees, my battle buddy got frostbite on a couple of toes.

Hell yes I wanted a heater, but I survived the suck. I'm in a transportation unit in the reserves now, even our tents have heaters and AC. We have some whiney ass young soldiers who complain when they don't work and the tent gets cold or to hot, they have no clue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
horse...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Switching the MRC bottom metal for an aluminum piece will save a lot of weight. Probably close to 4 ounces. Probably can knock two off the receiver. I would thin the recoil lug, make the tang a cloverleaf-style, turn the receiver ring behind the lug so the bottom is round. Don't know what that barrel is like but the barrel is one place where weight can be lost fairly easily.
Once you get the weight down, do NOT saddle the rifle with a big, heavy scope and mounts and a bipod! I had one customer who had me make him a very light .260 then brought me a 3.5-10x50mm scope to mount on it. Thankfully, he did not bring a bipod or I would have puked. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3768 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
horse...

's ass

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
taylorforce1

Are you saying that MontanaRC wants to "see what they can do" and then charge you for more parts?
Nearly 3/4 of a pound over advertised seems excessive.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
taylorforce1

Are you saying that MontanaRC wants to "see what they can do" and then charge you for more parts?

No, there was supposed to be no extra cost. However, aluminum bottom metal or going to a blind Mag at best would only remove 6oz.

Here is the link: MRC Extreme X2 .243 Win. The specifications have been taken down from MRC's web page now, but before they showed 5 chambering in the short action taken with 22" barrels from .22-250 to .260 Rem as 6lbs 14oz except the 6.5 Creedmoor which was 7lbs 02oz. My rifle weighed 7lbs 8.9oz and 8.5lbs scoped.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When fluting a lot of the time (cost) is in set up.

We have a customer always wanting lighter. One day he came in and said his rifle now weighs nothing. His grandson got old enough to go hunting with him and he carries the rifle.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Clark:

Go figure Mark. I have exactly the same problem when I do fluting. From the time I engage the feed until the time it disengages takes me almost no labor at all. The machine running in the background is a bit annoying of course.

It's talking with the customer, booking the gun in, taking the gun apart, making sure I have tooling in stock, finding the tooling, sharpening tooling, setting up the machine and tooling, resetting the machine after each cut, cleaning up the machine, putting the tooling away, cleaning up the work, reassembling the gun and turning it over to the customer that is such an infernal time waster.

But if you ask the customer the machine is cutting at 1.5 inches per minute so the job should only be billed at one hour and four minutes. Obviously customer math and gunplummer/machinist math use a different kind of calculator.

popcorn

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:

We have a customer always wanting lighter. One day he came in and said his rifle now weighs nothing. His grandson got old enough to go hunting with him and he carries the rifle.

Mark

I didn't want super light or I'd have bought a rifle closer to 6lbs even, but I didn't want to carry a 9lbs .243 hunting either.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to change what I ordered to make weight. But, that's just me. For a manufacturer to suggest that you "settle" switching to one of their blind magazine stocks to reduce weight would be a turn off for me as well.
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
taylorforce1

No, there was supposed to be no extra cost. However, aluminum bottom metal or going to a blind Mag at best would only remove 6oz.

Here is the link: MRC Extreme X2 .243 Win. The specifications have been taken down from MRC's web page now, but before they showed 5 chambering in the short action taken with 22" barrels from .22-250 to .260 Rem as 6lbs 14oz except the 6.5 Creedmoor which was 7lbs 02oz. My rifle weighed 7lbs 8.9oz and 8.5lbs scoped.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is now being returned for a refund, there is just no way I think I'll ever be happy with it. I'll just get a M700 and build a 1:8 twist .243 Win.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Now your thinking on the straight and narrow

I know a guy who is nuts about faux TI Remington stuff......