Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks to z1r for a job well done!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Several months ago I decided to install a Dakota 3 position safety on a MKX speedloc action. While I had installed them before never on a speedloc. As noted below I've edited this post

I elected to have it installed by someone else. I was not satisfied with the install nor the second repair effort.

So I asked Mike if he could fix it. I pulled a cocking piece from an extra action dropped it off when him and picked it up today. Everything works slick!!! Nice neat cut made to the cocking piece to get the safety to function correctly with the speedloc bolt and cocking piece location.

So if you have a question about a speedloc install here is a good example.

My hat off to Mike (z1r) this is one happy camper.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the difference between a punk and a REAL smith! Good on ya, Mike!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
So you folks won't be wondering, and to clear the air, I'll let you all know that I am the one who fitted the original safety on Paul's rifle. Although I'd installed many 3-position safeties, I'd not tackled one on a Mark X with the "speedlock". I did the best I could with the parts amd knowledge I had available; unfortunately, it did not meet Paul's expectations, but until now I had no idea that was the case.

I've privately offered to reimburse Paul for Mikes work. I'll also be getting with Mike to see if he'll teach me how he fits the parts in question.

I try to do my best all the time, but like most of the folks in this business, and those that post here, I am not perfect. But I assure you all, I am not a "Punk".

edit:
I just realized that I had in-fact installed one safety on a speedlock but never heard that it wasn't satisfactory. Sorry I misspoke above.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said, John. Sometimes we learn by trying. My dad always told me "The mistakes we really learn from are the ones we pay for".

Posts: 84 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
But I assure you all, I am not a "Punk".

You are absolutely not a punk! Anyone ever says that in my presence will get their ass handed to them. And Pronto! "Pronto" is Spanish for "without delay"!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It was never my intent to name who had done the first work. I'm sorry John felt the need. I felt it was no ones business. I was simply trying to showcase Mike's work and maybe show how not to do a speedloc. Since it was never my intent to trash anyones name in public I've edited my first post.

I've had several other things done by John and had no complaints (he is no punk) the blue jobs he has done for me are second to none. As well as the work he did building my 400PDK.

My poor photos do not do his work justice. Frowner

John did offer to reimburse me. Since I never told him that I was still unhappy I feel he has honored any obigation to me so I turned him down.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup - it's possible for even old dogs to learn new tricks, without biting

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The number-1 reason Ive been coming to this site for over a dozen years is that I continue to learn new things. Thanks, Paul, for posting the photos, and thanks to all those who teach me things.

John Farner

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, I wouldn't sweat it. the first one I did on a speed lock took 2 phone calls to gentry and I still f'd up a cp and when I was done I still had to call back and ask why I couldn't assemble the thing without an aftermarket spring. One of those things you learn the hard way. I am surprised it wasn't brought to your attention first though.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
In Paul's defense, he did send it back to me once, but I thought it was right after that. I just need that manual that has how to do this stuff all written down with pictures and diagrams...but then I probably wouldn't want to do it. LOL,

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I stand by most of my words. The photos you removed tell/told the tale far more eloquently than I ever could. Sorry that it offende some, but the truth is still the truth. Although John may not be a punk, the work that he did in this instance is not and obviously was not acceptable.

The fact that he owned up to his mistake DEFINITELY removes him from the punk category and the fact that he now wants help just confirms my new respect for such a MAN. Very few would have stepped up to the plate like that!

Every smith, EVERY SMITH, has done substandard work. The difference lies in what he subsequently DOES about it! Of course the proper thing is to offer recompense (as above) and attempt to correct the lack in the future (again as above).

My hat's off to you, John!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Unfortunately I stand by most of my words. The photos you removed tell/told the tale far more eloquently than I ever could. Sorry that it offende some, but the truth is still the truth. Although John may not be a punk, the work that he did in this instance is not and obviously was not acceptable.

The fact that he owned up to his mistake DEFINITELY removes him from the punk category and the fact that he now wants help just confirms my new respect for such a MAN. Very few would have stepped up to the plate like that!

Every smith, EVERY SMITH, has done substandard work. The difference lies in what he subsequently DOES about it! Of course the proper thing is to offer recompense (as above) and attempt to correct the lack in the future (again as above).

My hat's off to you, John!
Regards, Joe

Sorry J.D., the word "punk" instills an image of a person far worse than one who merely turned out a job that is considered by the recipient as substandard. It denotes someone as being of low moral character. Now you come on here like Eddie Haskell trying to smooth over your incendiary rhetoric. You J.D. are an ass!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
On the hand full of Dakotas I've installed the biggest thing is sneaking up on the safety position. Good measuring and patients on the surface grinder was what helped me. Yes I do mine on a surface grinder with a v block held on a magnetic sine chuck. That way I can test fit and put the cocking piece back in the v block the same way every time. and ever so gently sneak up on the safety engagement. A little math and depth mic a few sparks and you're good to go. Then check sear engagement and grind to fit being sure the safety cams the cocking piece off the sear .020" or so.

I fit one of these on a Charles Daly mini mauser if you can do that you should be able to fit it to anything.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac, I'm sorry you feel that way.

The FACT is that the work was pitifully inadequate (as shown by the deleted photos), especially for a professional.

I realize that you don't like me since I tell it like it IS regardless of whose ox gets gored. I realize that I'm stepping on toes here, toes belonging to folks who are seemingly 'worshipped' by you.

Well, the truth is still the truth, regardless.

It's not the first time I've stepped on the toes of someone considered by you to be Godlike, I remember your ignorant, uninformed response about the bolt-handle welding and therefore I know just exactly how little to value your opinion.

So, you think I'm Eddie Haskell? Well, sometimes I think you're Gomer Pyle with a brain lobotomy, does that make us even?

My hat's still off to John for his backbone and professionalism but my opinion of you remains in the dumpster. Lack of knowledge/skill can be corrected but stupidity seems to be forever.

You have a good day now, y'hear?
Joe

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
J.D., I don't worship anyone on this or any forum. But I have friends, and I'm not going to stand by and allow some swine to come on and mis-characterize them in the lowest of terms. Ain't gonna happen!

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I missed the deleted photos. JD, John may have butchered the job. I didn't see the work so I can't say. but he did feel bad enough to man up to it. That act speaks volumes for his character.

We've all made mistakes, we are human, it happens.

But what makes me have respect for someone over someone that does great work is that they can admit when they screw up and not blame anyone but them self. John owned this one and offered compensation for the second smith that completed the work. That act in itself demands respect.
I've never met Malm nor John but from what I can see of their work I respect what they know and can do.
Usually I'm the one being told to play nice bewildered

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This type of discussion is all too common here on AR. It would be wise for all of us to remember that none of us is perfect nor do we all act appropriately all the time. All parts are different. All require different "human touches" to make them work properly. "Butcher" to me means something completely ruined, not just "not working the way I want it to." That I did not see in the original photos, just "not perfect." The rifle in question is lovely, and yes it needed some work. Ever bought a new car that needed some work first or how many factory rifles that had no rifling (sp.) or the magazine fell open or would not feed? Let it be known that John built a very nice rifle for me, exactly as we discussed and it shoots like a house on fire. Yes, he supplied and fitted the 3 position safety, did a beautiful bolt job and wonderful bluing, not to mention fighting with a difficult stock. I could not be more pleased and will, money available, have John do more work for me. I have gone on too long. Civility must prevail. Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
I missed the deleted photos. JD, John may have butchered the job. I didn't see the work so I can't say. but he did feel bad enough to man up to it. That act speaks volumes for his character.

We've all made mistakes, we are human, it happens.

But what makes me have respect for someone over someone that does great work is that they can admit when they screw up and not blame anyone but them self. John owned this one and offered compensation for the second smith that completed the work. That act in itself demands respect.
I've never met Malm nor John but from what I can see of their work I respect what they know and can do.
Usually I'm the one being told to play nice bewildered
My subsequent post detailed my complete agreement with you! I now have the utmost respect for John's backbone and character, as I have said! If that makes me an Eddie Haskell in some folks' eyes, well, that's their problem.

My problem is with someone who puts friendship ahead of facts, kinda like the Olympic judges who won't penalize their countrymen. Bah!

Fact is, it was a botched job. 2 tries and the owner still wasn't satisfied.
Fact is, John made a superlative recovery when he 'fessed up and offered to fix it, in public.
Fact is, that action changed my opinion of John completely.
Fact is, Westpac doesn't like me 'cause I TELL THE TRUTH without letting friendship or respect make me use weasel words or be Cleopatra.

No I certainly don't expect my new truck to always perform perfectly right off the lot.

But my new truck was put together on an assembly line by bored semi-automaton workers who assemble thousands of identical trucks weekly using right-off-the-line prefabbed parts that they don't have time to tweak into perfect performance.

I'd like to think that my custom rifle OTOH was put together by a caring expert who ensured that everything worked and looked as it should.

Obviously this is what John is striving for, and I wish him the very best. No he isn't a punk and he has proven that, in spades. I was wrong when I said that a punk FUBARed that work and I've already said that I was wrong, long before Westpac thrust his oar into a race in which his boat has already sunk (grin).
Regards, Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
This little trick has brightened many of my days:

Ignored post by J.D.Steele posted 27 August 2012 16:56

He, he, he. I consider John and Malm to be friends. I will stand next to them`on the street, in the alley or even at the OK Corral. Now would that not be fun Wink.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey John, Hey Ramrod,

That looks like a PT&G made three position safety.

That is a fine looking stick!!!

I need to call you about that Sako L461? 5 series?
.308 length, anyways.

John

PS I had bought a speed lock system from Superior Shooting Systems. It was a mess. z baby found me one from elsewhere and fixed everything up good and proper like.

I need to go pick up my rust blue cabinet/damp box. It is done (for, 'er two years, 'er, oops). I will use a baby crock pot and a rheostat for moisture. Need that out here.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That looks like a PT&G made three position safety

That was a Dakota I installed. That action is not a Speedloc

Thanks I'm very happy with the rifle.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kool,

PT&G must be making those for Dakota.

John

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
One of the most accurate rifles I own was built by John Farner. Nuff said.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wise man told me once that if you aren't making any mistakes then you're not working.

Another wise guy told me in a moment when I was frustrated with a botched job that the mark of a pro isn't how well he executes a job, but in how well he can correct his mistakes.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle, really like the checkering.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote