Find
Notify
Tools

Opening up feed rails ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
OK looks like I'll be opening up the magazine feed rails on a 700 action. What do you guys use to do this. A mill or a die grinder? Do I need to just take the sharp edge off or keep the same angle on the rail and make it "thinner"? I guess action was 30-06 size; will be ultra mag now. New territory to me.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1374 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Be careful..
700's feeding is controlled by the mag box. There are no angles like on a Mauser on 700s.
I have not done a 338 RUM for a few years and now I forgot how I did it but I am doing another one soon.
I use ball end mills followed by polishing bobs, when necessary. Like on mausers.
Keep the same angle on the rails if you have to remove any metal.
But first make sure you have the right angles on the box; which for RUMs is very shallow.
I just re bend the standard ones.

Posts: 17186 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Best way is to use new PTG bottom metal and an AICS single stack magazine. That is the easy, fool proof, no work, way.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice and quick reply dpcd.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1374 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rails are .015" wider on a 700 RUM receiver compared to a 700 Win/Rem Mag rails.

The RUM mag box is windowed as are the RSAUM boxes.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The RUM mag box is windowed as are the RSAUM boxes.

And, if you don't use the correct "windowed" mag box, don't expect it to feed!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course; good advice on the triangular windows. They will feed one round without them but won't stack correctly unless you cut the windows in or get the correct box.
The window is to allow the fat shoulders to stack. Midway has them.
See, my memory will come back but there is so much crap in it that it takes prompting.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Guess I need to "window" the mag box first. I can probably find a pic somewhere here on the net.

Thanks guys, Louis

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Midway has pretty good pictures.

God Bless, Louis