Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota 3 Position Safety install issue.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well I was fitting my new Dakota 3 position safety to my MKX today. All went well. Cut the indent for the pin to lock the bolt. Placed the pin in the safety without the spring to insure lock up and it locked solid. However when I install the spring the pin will no longer extend far enough to engage the bolt.

The shroud is all the way it. It bumps the bolt handle and would have metal removed to allow another turn. As I count it is engaged 4 turns just like the factory shroud.

Anyone ever have the problem? Only thought that comes to mind is the shroud sits just a hair further back than the factory.

I was thinking of making a longer pin. Or is the timing off on the shroud. Thoughts???

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Making a longer pin is a real simple fix, and should pose no additional problems.

Hey, I just noticed, today is my 10th anniversay on AR!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary John!!!

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
John would it being out of time cause this? The action functioned just fine with the new shroud. Safety worked except locking the bolt. Fired a case with a primer fine. So should I try to get Dakota to replace or jsut make a new pin?

Another 10 year man. Congrats I'm just a few days away myself.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Does the bolt sleeve lock, unlock as you close the bolt? I don't think there's a "timing" issue. I'd find out what's different between the Dakota safety and the original and go from there, but you said it turns on far enough so I'm betting all you need is a longer pin.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Confused sure surprised no one else has had this issue. Anyway I had sent an email to Dakota last night as of 9:00 this morning I had a response saying a longer pin was in the mail to me that if that didn't cure the problem to please contact them.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure seems like another of the Dakota/Gentry safety issues popped up again.

When will people learn.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure seems like another of the Dakota/Gentry safety issues popped up again.

Jim I guess I'm a touch slow. I have had a gentry and sent it back for major issues. I didn't know people were having issues with the Dakota. They did get right on it and are sending a longer pin. I did find a second issue this morning the shoud locking pin doesn't extend far enough to lock the MKX bolt either.

Laying a MKX shroud with a Dakota and FN left to right. You can see that the Dakota slot holding the shroud lock is .032" shorter than the FN and even more than the MKX. The Dakota shroud does lock the FN as well as a M98 I had laying on the bench.

If you look at the MKX bolt laying against the FN on the right you can see the distance from the bolt handle to rear of the bolt is .02" shorter on the MKX. I think this difference causes the safety that works fine on the FN and M98 to have problems with the MKX

The Dakota safety is very smooth and for a FN or M98 it would be a 30 minute install. Probably less but I haven't done that many.

I passed these and a couple other pictures on to Dakota this morning. They knew that on a MKX the safety lock pin is often too short so they have longer ones on hand. I suggested they might want to include both as well and make the notch does a touch longer and everyone would be happy.

Yes I had a couple unforseen issues. This was my first time with a Dakota. I would buy another in a New York second.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am on my seventh one currently. I have had non issues. It may be the Mk 10 issue. I did have one last night that the inner part of the bolt before the threads was tight. Had to lap to fit. Tried older shrouds and all fit but none of the Dakota's fit. Works now though!

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may be the Mk 10 issue.

I agree it seems to be an MKX issue. Dakota knows of the issue because they have longer pins in stock. I was chatting with Toomany Tools and he said last MKX he did he had to make the groove on the shroud lock longer as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well Dakota was on the stick. Got the longer pin last night. Put it in the morning. I didn't think to measure it but would guess about .125" longer maybe less. Slipped it in the shroud screwed it on flipped the safey to the rear and the bolt was locked. dancing Next one I order I'll just remember to ask for the longer pin to begin with.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K