Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 1890 Questions..??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All,

I have just bought a rather rough model 1890, the wood is better than ok but the gun has some minor pitting on the barrel and trigger guard. The worst part of the gun is the bore, it is gone.

I bought this gun to work on, I will be refinishing the wood, draw filing the metal, and will apply rust bluing. The only thing I can't re-do is the bore so, I thought I would reline the bore hence my questions:

The gun is in the common 22WRF caliber so first question is; If I chamber to 22LR will the gun feed the shorter round without alteration? If I chamber to the 22WMR will the gun handle the pressure?

Finally, if the gun will handle the pressure of the 22WMR it should also handle the 17HMR, any comments on this?

I thank you all in advance for your time and consideration.

Marcos
elalto@cox.net

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Marcos,

Yes you will have to reline the barrel, no big deal there. I wouldn't attempt converting it to the magnum. The WRF is larger in diameter than the 22LR cartridge so you may well have difficulty feeding the smaller diameter 22 LR cartridges.

The carrier for Win 62A was modified to handle feed timing difference of the 22Short, Long and LR. You will probably need to obtain one of these carriers and possibly a different magazine tube if you are going to convert this to shoot the 22LR.

Malm

<JBelk>
posted
Elato---

I found out the (very) hard way, once a WRF, ALWAYS a WRF. The magazine tube is on odd size, the shell stops are unique and the bolt face is odd.

Here's a possible solution--- I have the entire front portion of a round barrel 1906 in 22 s, l, lr. The outside is rough with some pitting but is restorable.......barely. The bore still has some shine to it, but I haven't looked at it closely.

I *think* the bolt interchanges with the 1890 and the rest of the parts should to. I know the barrel threads are the same, etc.

Warning! These guns have "rotary" dovetails in the barrel for the magazine loops. If you drive them out the dovetail is usually ruined. Pull the tube and then turn the loops 90 degrees to remove them. (How Redfield patented the rotary dovetail scope mount is a mystery.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your replies.

I gather that the conversion to 22WMR is not in the cards. I suppose that the parts from a 1906 or a 62/62A would make it possible to convert to 22LR.

Mr. Belk, do you think that I might be able to use the magazine tube (inner & outside)together with the carrier from the 06 and the bolt from the 90? If so I could avoid having to modify the barrel breech and could use the original octagon barrel relined and rechambered.

Please email me a price for the parts that you have I may decide to go that way.

Thank you both again,

Marcos
elalto@cox.net

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Marcos--

I sent you email. I'm not sure of the dimensions of the parts and what's interchangeable.....I just priced it low enough you can sell what you dont need and come out OK. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I noticed the topic. You know there is a market for .22 WRF in this area. Not a big market but it is there. Recent issues of Winchester and CCI ammo have emptied dealers racks of previously unsaleable guns. FWIW.

Oh, and I shoot .22 WRF in my WRFM Contender. Works great.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote