New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There has been a thread active recently in the single shot forum concerning the availability of the Falling Block Works actions. These came out in the late 70's, I believe, and were available in several sizes. I saw a few in 22 Hornt which were basically miniature high walls. Most of the ones I saw shot well. I always wanted one of the small ones. It turns out that the remaining inventory is still for sale, in sizes to handle anything from the Hornet to the largest Nitro Express rounds. I ordered two of the smallest size (the model K) and they arrived in a week. I posted these in the single shot thread, but thought some of the gunsmithing posters might be interested. I am going to build a 222Rimmed and a lightweight 25-35 to perk up a little with spitzers. Both with octagon or octagon/round barrels. The small action is almost an exact size match to a martini cadet and sells for $350. It looks like a cadet blank could be made to fit.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those actions look nice. You might make new bolts/steel screws out of blanks and cut thin and timed slots with the screw maker tool from Brownells. Torx or Allen head screws would make for a modern look (and a lot less work).

Again, good looking actions (with a little work).

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Torx or allen head might be a good idea. These are the action pins everything hangs on, so they need to be set up tight. A "pretty" slot might not cut it. I suspect that's the reason they ar kinda beefy.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Where do you buy them?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are the triggers for weight an crispness? Are they adjustable with a screwdriver as opposed to taking a stone to it?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread contains the contact info, along with pictures of their largest action(a monster).

http://forums.accuratereloadin...9421043/m/3051069361

The brochure says the trigger is adjustable, but doesn't say how. I haven't pulled the trigger out yet, so can't tell you. I have only pulled the breechblock/lever/extractor so I could remove the extractor for barreling.

I will say the triggers were surpeisingly good, considering the apparent simplicity of the action. One was a little lighter than the other, but both under three pounds. Both were crisp.

The actions start at $350 and go up to about $425. They also have spares like springs, hammers, extractors etc at really good prices.