New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Firing Pin to Short
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's the best way to increase the distance a Mauser firing pin protrudes beyond the bolt face? I have one that'sd just barely denting the primers.
Thanks.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had this same thing happen to me.

The only way to fix it is to use a new firing pin. Takes all of 5 minutes to swap out.

I held the old one up to the correct size one...the old one was just a few millimeters too short. Probably put in the bolt by a gunsmith working on 2 different Mausers when he switched them up.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Measure the distance it protrudes from the bolt face when in the fired position. It should be somewhere between .055 and .065. Anything less replace, anything more, trim back.

On the other hand, if the firing pin is protruding the right amount, then you need to check to see if something is interfering with it's forward travel like the sear not clearing the hole in the receiver, or, clearing the trigger lever when it's tripped. You will also want to check the headspace, the cartridge dimension and the firing pin spring,

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote