New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 action question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a pre 64 winchester 30-06 action be rebarreled into a 300win.magnum safetly?Whats the point of no return on these actions?I have read on hear they are not the strongest ever made.I have noticed a couple for sale lately.
Thanks in advance. thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. The pre-64 is strong enough for the conversion you have in mind. Have you ever read any thread on AR about a pre-64 failing?

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
The action and barrel are the same for the 30-06 and the 300 Win. Mag. The differences are in the opened bolt face, extractor geometry, the magazine box, and obviously the chamber. I dont think you or anyone else on these forums has actually had a failure themselves. They often repeat stories that they have heard or been told. How many have had an action fail on them. Give full details with pictures please.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a pre-64, or any other commercially made action from the last 50-75 years isn't strong enough, then I don't know what is.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are also differences in the feed rail geometry of M70's factory chambered for the 264WM, 300WM, and 458WM. Some conversions feed fine without rail work; others don't.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever read Hatchers Notebook and seen what drastic steps he had to take to blow up a bolt action rifle?

His famous “blue-pills†generated almost 50% more pressure than factory ammo and it normally took several of those in a row to even get the barrels to come apart, let alone the actions.

He did a test once where he started progressively thinning the locking lugs on an 03 to see how far he could get before one of his “blue-pills†would shear a lug off. He got all the way down to just under ¼ of the original thickness, or one tenth of an inch, before one lug finally gave way. Those tenth of an inch thick locking lugs handled standard factory ammo fine and it took a blue pill load of 75,000 psi to finally shear off one of the lugs.

Following that he then took a bolt and milled the locking lugs clear off to see how the safety lug alone would hold up. It took one standard load and one blue pill to shear the safety lug off.

I would feel pretty comfortable in assuming that a pre 64 Model 70 was built at least as strong as a 03 Springfield.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre 64 mod 70 that was a 30-06 in 1953, was converted to a 30 Gibbs in 55, and the chambered to 300 Win Mag in 2001. No problems at all !

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifles that have been converted seem to go for less than unmolested specimins. Maybe look for a previoulsy done one and save some money, time and headaches?

one of us
posted Hide Post
All pre 64 actions are 375 length...On yours you will need to open the bolt face, do a tad of rail work, rebarrel or rechamber, either one will work fine. If its accurate then I would re chamber it to 300 whatever...

My 300 H&H began life as a pre 64 30-06...and I had an original 300 H&H new barrel...the box need replacement, a cut in the rear ring and another on the rear of the front ring, rail work, open bolt face, fit barrel, headspace and presto a 300 H&H that shoots under and inch to this day, albiet the blue is gone almost entirely and the custom made french walnut stock resembles driftwood I have been told, but every mark brings back a fine memory....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Have you ever read Hatchers Notebook and seen what drastic steps he had to take to blow up a bolt action rifle?

His famous “blue-pills†generated almost 50% more pressure than factory ammo and it normally took several of those in a row to even get the barrels to come apart, let alone the actions.

He did a test once where he started progressively thinning the locking lugs on an 03 to see how far he could get before one of his “blue-pills†would shear a lug off. He got all the way down to just under ¼ of the original thickness, or one tenth of an inch, before one lug finally gave way. Those tenth of an inch thick locking lugs handled standard factory ammo fine and it took a blue pill load of 75,000 psi to finally shear off one of the lugs.

Following that he then took a bolt and milled the locking lugs clear off to see how the safety lug alone would hold up. It took one standard load and one blue pill to shear the safety lug off.

I would feel pretty comfortable in assuming that a pre 64 Model 70 was built at least as strong as a 03 Springfield.

I've seen quite a few high-number '03s that had been rechambered for .308 Norma or .30/.338 and they all worked fine - a pre-64 M70 has got to be at least as strong!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe that there hasn't been even one pre-64 model 70 bashed on this thread. Are you guys sleeping or what! Kind of like Democrats,no fun if you don't play.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
I cannot believe that there hasn't been even one pre-64 model 70 bashed on this thread. Are you guys sleeping or what! Kind of like Democrats,no fun if you don't play.

I’m sure there would be no shortage of bashing on features or lack of...but I don’t think that the strength of the action would be among them, as pretty much all firearms made after 1920 are overkill when it comes to strength of the actions.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote