Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1860 Colt revolver
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Pietta 1860 Colt copy that was purchased from Cabelas years ago. The trigger pull has become extremely light. Was wondering if anyone out there knows how to repair this problem?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Remove the grip and see if the mainspring screw or nut is loose. If so, tighten it. If that doesn't cure your problem then it will require someone going in and checking to see if the trigger/bolt spring is toast, and the sear surfaces and angles on the hammer and trigger.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mainspring screw is tight. Trigger spring must be shot. The trigger was fine before, so how can you tell if the sear surfaces have worn?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typically the surfaces of the trigger and hammer are case hardened only. To get your trigger pull back you'll have to have the trigger and sear notches in the hammer reworked and recased. For my competition models I've actually inserted a piece of tool steel in the hammer notch area and refitted it to the trigger. A real PITA for sure.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
any parts that are worn they most likely have at VTI gunparts. Smaller parts are not priced bad.

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by backdoc:
Mainspring screw is tight. Trigger spring must be shot. The trigger was fine before, so how can you tell if the sear surfaces have worn?

You have to pull it down and look at the parts. These guns have a half cock safety notch, and occasionally someone will "accidentally" place the gun on half cock, and then "unconsciously" attempt to pull the trigger. Depending on how hard one attempts to pull the trigger, things happen that are never quite the same. Things break, chip or bend. Sometimes the parts are just too soft and round with use.

Let a gunsmith have a look. He can either reshape, reharden and retime the action, or he can replace the pieces. I use to rebuild the surfaces with spring steel and my TIG torch, but now only do that mainly with competition guns.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote