New
Find
Notify
Tools

?????? Filler for stock barrel channel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a McMillan stock that had the barrel channel cut for a heavy barrel. Approx .950 at muzzle. I want to salvage the stock and bed a barreled action with a slimmer barrel profile.

As it is there is a huge gap around the slimmer barrel that I would like to close up somewhat

I don't have a problem with about 1/16 clearance per side but the current gap is way larger.

I don't want to fill barrel channel with 3# of AcraGlas. Is there a lighter weight filler (foam?) that I can put in and skim bed over the top to narrow the barrel channel?

I sure would appreciate any ideas, I'm anxious to get this bedded and start shooting.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 896 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
How much of a gap are you talking? You can use Bondo to fill large areas. Put a couple of layers of duct tape around the barrel to preovide the clearance, use a wax based product for a release agent, mix the Bondo, install barreled action and scrape up the overflow. Quickly I might add. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Westpac said, Bondo will work. If you decide to go that route ask the guys at the automotive paint store for the lightweight stuff, there is a difference.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want to fill barrel channel with 3# of AcraGlas. Is there a lighter weight filler (foam?) that I can put in and skim bed over the top to narrow the barrel channel?

I've made my own light filler. I use the foam like florist use. Take a rasp and made course foam dust. Then mix it with epoxy and some dye to make it black if needed. I use the liquid not gel epoxy. It is far more foam than epoxy.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the method westpac is recommending. I have done one stock. Similar situation only I used Brownells Acra glass and colored it with the provided die. I actually got a pretty good match to the stock color by only using just a touch of the brown die. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just did one with a big gap myself. I used Acra Glass but I filled the middle of the forarm with play dough. Acura glass just covered about 3/8 inch along sides and front. After drying just removed play dough. I though it worked out pretty well.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safarihunter

There is a product made for your situation. The industry calls it micro-balloons.

I got mine from Bansner who makes the light weight fiberglass stocks. You may be able to get some from Midway as well.

Simply mix it with you favorite bedding material. Works great.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Micro-balloons
Look in hobby shops -it's used used for flying model airplane construction.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/top/toptopr1090.htm

Stonewall

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote