New
Find
Notify
Tools

Touching up a stock?
 Login/Join

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Does anyone have a tip on how to touch up a "blemish" in the finish of a M700 stock? I was opening up the barrel channel with a Dremel to accommodate a new barrel. The drum slipped over the edge. (I know, shoulda taped it off first...). It's the newer style ADL stock with the satin finish, not that high gloss stuff. It's not in the wood, but the finish has a small line that's now a cloudy sort of scratch. Any ideas? Thanks!

<jd_1>
posted
Try some clear satin varnish. I like aerosol for touch up work. Just spray it on, let it dry and go over it with a very light abrasive cloth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jd1 has it right. I would just add that after using some very fine paper (1000grt) rub it out with a car wax/cleaner. Usually the waxes for oxidation or that have cleaner in the title have a very mild abrasive that will bring the shine back up and make it blend in

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<PowderBurns>
posted
Auto finish rubbing/polishing compound will remove the *&%$!!! from a finish. The polishing compound is finer abrasive.

A little clear poly resin finish in the scratch will fill the abrasion, then polish with compound.

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Thanks guys!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find Birchwood-Casey stock finish to be pretty good for most semi- and glossy stock touch-ups. A little application of polishing compound helps blend it in.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote