THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What kind of bases/rings are these? (Says LEUPOLD Pat.2743525)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of bases/rings are these? (Says LEUPOLD Pat.2743525)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
This is all I can find. Curious as to value (nostalgic) and any personal insight you'd care to inject. They came off a Mark V Deluxe I'm having rebarreled to stainless Lilja in 7 mm Wby Mag with silver scope/bases/rings. Left the rings attached to old scratched up 3-9x Leupy blued like the original barrel (.300 Wby Mag) also mucho dinged but serviceable.

Thanks!

Barry

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2743525.pdf

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like they were adjustable for windage AND elevation.

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sine the base is stamped "Leupold" I'd have to reach that conclusion

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those were marketed by Leupold as the Adjusto-Mount bases and associated rings. I see them occasionally at gunshows. Usually just a ring, one base, or the empty boxes they came in.

I think they lasted through the mid-60's before giving way to the dovetail setup Redfield used.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Gracias! Wonder what changed/evolved to introduce the Redfield approach? (Patent is as old as me!)
Perhaps it became moot when scopes came out with their own internal windage and elevation adjustments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's what we are heading back to for long range . Don't need 20 or 30 moa bases .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee
A set of the old, fully adjustable Leopold rings. Survivors from an era when barrels pointed in one direction, receivers pointed in another and scopes had very little adjustment, if any at all. They had a nasty habit of shooting loose on heavy calibers.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a mint 722 Rem in 222 with a set of these and a Leupold scope with no internal adjustment. Found pictures of these in 1952 Shooters Bible.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Thanks again folks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
I have a mint 722 Rem in 222 with a set of these and a Leupold scope with no internal adjustment. Found pictures of these in 1952 Shooters Bible.
Yep, Leupold used to make a scope without internal adjustments very much like the old Balvars from Bausch & Lomb. The Leupold Adjusto-Mounts were designed for them. I've also seen The B&L's and the external Weavers mounted in the Adjusto-Mounts. The advantage of the Leupold Adjusto-Mount over the B&L or Kuharsky Bros mount was that it mounted the scope much lower in a better position for eye alignment. I know at least one guy who will buy all of the Adjusto Mounts he can find, at least those for the Sako dovetailed action.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorta reminds me of a close friend, who has a vast collection of Weaver mounts and rings. Smiler

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of sets mauser and mod 70 (I Think)

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold Adjusto mounts from the late 1930s and 40s..."properly installed" they are an excellent mounting system however outdated these days, modern mounting systems are better than ever...They have very little value today from a collector standpoint, but ya never know you might get lucky..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have very little value today from a collector standpoint, but ya never know you might get lucky..

One mans' trash is another mans'
treasure!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
coffee
... They had a nasty habit of shooting loose on heavy calibers.

That failing could have been rectified by further design refinement but I suspect what killed it and other worthy ideas of the time was the smoke and mirrors of 'constantly centred reticles', a concept still being tweaked in efforts to make it reliable.

There the failings could fill a book Smiler but, ironically, I (the one who hates it most) may have found the final answer to making it strong enough for the super elephant numbers. This solution is so devilishly simple I'm amazed no maker has done it or, if they have, that I've never heard of them doing it.

More anon in the Optics forum ...

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote