New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to decide what to do with pre-64 M70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pre-64 Winchester M70 Featherweight in 30-06 that was my grandfathers. It has been used and abused by 3 generations. It has had things done to it that shouldn't have been done, but you can't turn back time. For starters it needs a new barrel on it, and I am trying to weigh my options. I am not trying to restore it for selling purposes, but to get it back into the best hunting condition I can for my children. It will stay in our family.

Truth be told, I love that old rifle. I have plenty of SS barreled, accurate customs, but there is just something about that old rifle that makes me keep taking it out, and keep killing deer with it.

I want to keep very close to the original contour and look of the rifle. In fact, as long as it would shoot MOA and I could find one in good condition, I wouldn't mind having an original barrel back on it, if one could be found in good shape. Does such an animal still exist? If not what are my best options? I want to keep the blued finish.

Also, it was fitted with a Timney trigger and that required grinding one piece (I think it was the cocking piece?) for installation. What are the odds of finding a replacement piece for that and having the original trigger re-installed with a professional trigger job done?

I know I cannot change all the ills that have been done to this rifle, but would like to try and rectify what I can. I know I can't get it original, but maybe I can come close to getting it back correct, if that makes sense. Any suggestions for a gunsmith who would be a good candidate for this type of work?

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what you want isn't at all hard. give jim kobe a call - he just might have most everything you need on hand

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Original pre 64 barrels in 30-06 are fairly common so that part won't he a problem. Cocking piece should not be hard, and working with pre FN M70 triggers is the easiest thing in the world. So I think you do not have the problems you think you do.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys, sounds like there is someone I need to call. Anyone have contact info for Jim?

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM him here, he posts as Jim Kobe.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are nice pre-64 featherweight barrels on gunbroker all the time, and the cost is usually much less than a custom barrel.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Lots of barrel makers offer a FWT contour, which IMO is a better option than buying a take-off. Sounds like a new barrel, reblue, and stock refinish is what you're after. Restoring the trigger should pose no problem either.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
If the trigger was installed properly, breaks clean, I'd leave the Timney (darn good trigger there) and just replace the barrel and leave the abused look as well. The Timney trigger and that field worn "look" was put there by your family over many years.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with the Timney is that it wasn't installed properly to begin with. I have shot many of them (Timneys) that were good, but this one is not, it has a rather nasty hitch in the middle of it. I would live with that though, but the real problem is that it is not safe. If you pull the trigger with it on safe, and then take it off safe, it will fire. I do not let anyone shoot this rifle but me, because of that. It is way, way past time to have that taken care of. Since none of us know how long we have on this earth, I want to make sure it is safe for whichever of my children it goes to. Safety is the main concern of mine on this issue.

The normal wear and tear on the rifle does not bother me, I am not trying to make it pristine. I want it safe, and in good working order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And thanks to everyone for their input in this matter, I have read all of the replies and am taking all of it into consideration. I do appreciate it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up for Jim Kobe. He just recently rebarreled my pre 64 with a take off barrel from ebay. There are lots of 30-06 take off barrels available, some with excellent bores and bluing. Jim Kobe's price for this was very low, turn around time fast and no need to re-blue. Accuracy for the new/old barrel has proven to be more than acceptable.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am all set up with Jim now, will ship it out to him in about 10 days. Very much looking forward to getting her back in shape like she should be. I have no doubt the work will be what I expect, I have heard tons of good things about him.