New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 57SME Mauser 98
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where are the mounting holes located that need to drilled on Mauser 98 (VZ24) for mouinting the Lyman 57SME rear bridge sight? I am guessing it is on the right side on the rear bridge level with the bore center line. My Mark X has two plugged holes in that position.

Thanks

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Asked and answered.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right where the holes are in your Mark X but thats a tad over center line as it should be..this requires the cutting and inletting of wood...A better way might be the Williams peep sight that mounts on the two top scope holes on the rear bridge of the receiver..They are neat and handy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve found that it’s a good idea to locate and level the sight on the receiver, clamp it in place with a machinist clamp, then mark the holes to be drilled using the holes in the base as a guide.

Sometimes the holes will be centerline to the bore and sometimes not...but if you do it this way you will know for sure that the sight is level and that the overarm clears everything.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If you go with the Williams you will also need a higher front sight.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

I like the idea of the Williams receiver site attached to the scope mount holes.

Dumb Questions

Does the Williams mourn to the front or rear scope base holes?

What is the name or model number of the Williams site for the Mauser Model 98, VZ24

Thanks again

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It mounts where the rear scope base holes are.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote