New
Find
Notify
Tools

suppressor question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a shotgun be suppressed? Seems like the choke threads would be perfect for screwing a silencer into. Velocity should be under the speed of sound. Might have to capsulize pellets, or just shoot slugs, but wonder if it is doable or has been done?

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joe25/06:
Can a shotgun be suppressed? Seems like the choke threads would be perfect for screwing a silencer into. Velocity should be under the speed of sound. Might have to capsulize pellets, or just shoot slugs, but wonder if it is doable or has been done?

Anything's possible. They put mufflers on Honda's.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes but they don't do much. The endcap hole has to be HUGE else it gets blown off by the shot. Same reason hollow points don't always do well in cans. If they are even the least big out of balance they chip the cap. The few shotgun cans I have seen are only prototypes. There are even suppressors for .50 BMGs but they only bring it down to around .22 Mag sound levels. As you get bigger you are not Hollywood quiet, they are still pretty loud. PM me and I will give you to some web forums that deal with this type of thing (I don't know if I am supposed to post other forums here).

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Malm my Shadow's got straight pipes and baffles - the muffler had to go.

-------------------

I'm assuming its acceptable to discuss Class III stuff here. Its all perfectly legal provided you've filed the proper paperwork and paid your taxes.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can a shotgun be suppressed?
I have heard a suppressed shotgun sound like a suppressed 22LR - that was 25 years ago! I have bought myself a single barrel shotgun specifically for that purpose (just haven't done it yet). There is a video clip demo of a suppressed shotgun being used in the UK where they seem to be quite popular.
quote:
There are even suppressors for .50 BMGs but they only bring it down to around .22 Mag sound levels.
About a thousand percent reduction - not too shabby! Big Grin

Are you in a hurry to do yours joe25/06? Give me a few months and I will be able to tell you first hand how well (or not) they work and how bulky they may (or may not) be. Right now I am still working on my 'mini suppressor' for a rifle. This device seem to be an excellent recoil reducer - kinda like a muzzle break/suppressor.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Living in the UK I have used suppressed shotguns in both 410 and 12 bore.
The sound reduction is good but the gun balance is terrible. My 410 has a suppressor screwed onto the muzzle increasing the over all length by about 6 inches, it is also over 1 inch in diameter. The sight picture looks strange and the gun does not centre its pattern where expected.
The only suppressed 12 bore I have used was a single barrel with a full length suppressor fitted. Again handling was poor, the barrel felt like a drain pipe.

Posts: 9 | Location: Northumberland England | Registered: 28 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few of these kicking around in the uk.

They are not subject to any additional regulation, anybody with a shotgun ceritficate can get one.

This is the most popular brand I think, Hushpower

I note they do kits, but something stupid like postage is liable to make the thing uneconomic no doubt Roll Eyes Big Grin

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there a guy in mpls that does a bunch of goose hunting in the city. he uses a thing called the metro gun. its a long extension that clamps on the barrel of the shottygun. makes it about 6' long. as i understand it it quiets the blast down by lots

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote