New
Find
Notify
Tools

square/bluprinting actions
 Login/Join

<bowiler>
posted
Could somone explain the difference in these or what they all include. Plus any pros or cons of doing one or the other.

<Sparticus>
posted
To squire or blueprint is same. You are truing up an action. Something I feel needs to be done, for a truely accurate rifle. Besides, if you are going to spend the money, go all the way, and have it done right.Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
This can be a simple or complex operation. Some consider taking a clean-up cut on the receiver front and lug abutments and on the back of the lugs all that is required. Others recut the receiver threads, put bands on the bolt, lap lugs, recut/lap bolt face, all done in jigs and fixtures that take a lot of time to set-up. Yet others ream the receiver bore, sleeve the whole bolt, and more.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<bowiler>
posted
How much should I expect to pay to get it done right, is it worth it for a factory rifle,or should I wait untill the barrel is shot out and get it all done at once. Realizing new barrels vary a in price (and quality) so would there be a dramatic difference in price having it all done at once.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think "squaring" is to square up contact faces without reguard to correct dimension, "blueprinting" is to refine the dimension of receiver.

"Blueprinting" is done with a very good lathe and a special receiver fixture jig, it turns rounded portion concentric, threads, round faces, etc.

"Squaring" is done with a flat grinding material like Arkansas stone, it's for bedding surfaces, recoil lug and locking lugs on bolt and receiver.

"Squaring" usually means a person is going to bed the rifle(or why square the bedding surface?), after squaring and bedding the accuracy almost always improve, That's the first investment you can give to your rifle.
It cost about 60 bucks.

"Blueprinting" stablize the final uneveness, and the improvement can only be seen with a top quality barrel. And this process cost a lot more than "squaring", about several hundred bucks.

In the process of blueprinting, the receiver thread is often "chased" to clean up the thread and truing to mate with new barrel thread, so the new receiver thread will be loose for old factory barrels.

My advise is to square first. Do the blueprinting when there's a really good barrel in your possession. If you are happy enough after squaring, maybe you don't want to "blueprint" anymore.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a good explanation with some photos etc try this web-site www.gtrtooling.com

He is one of the best in the business and many 'smiths use the equipment he designed.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote