New
Find
Notify
Tools

krag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
was wondering if anybody has any experience sporterizing krag rifles, as far as stock strength and accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack Belk once remarked that he never saw one that was any more than so-so accurate; they were a staple in the eastern deer fields for years due to their availability. A lot of deer are still taken with them.

I wish one of the guys doing it was me Big Grin

They are accurate enough to hunt with successfully.

I have seen examples in books that were made into single shots with the magazine apparatus removed, they were handsome, sleek rifles.

I passed on a Neidner-styled example a few years back and I've regretted it since.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if this was a new project I would pick something more desirable to sporterize but my dad started this one 15 years ago and I thought I would finish it for him

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input tin can

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never sporterized one and have only limited 1st hand knowledge. I do know they are a silky smooth action but with a single lug, many are hesitant at their strength. That said, they're surely "strong enough" for cartridges in the original pressure range.

Are you using the existing barrel or a new one? They can be a bugger to get off. Need to cut a notch on your action wrench to match the bolster on the bottom of the receiver, then all is well.

The Krag round is a fine one even if its not a super duper just new magnum. It's killed a lot of game and I suspect will continue to for years to come.

Finish your dad's project. Take you time do it right and be proud of the result.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it still has the original barrel,but not sure havent seen the gun in probely 15 years. I should'nt be hard to finish he did most of the work I just need to put the finishing touches on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Krag will make a fine hunting rifle, not a thing wrong with it. When I moved to Alaska back in 1966 I brought a sporterized Krag with me and it cleanly killed Moose and caribou. Please post a picture of what has been done to date.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll get the rifle this weekend and when I get back I'll be sure to post some pics

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too would be interested in a picture of it as that one of my near future projects.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have a 1915 Norwegian Krag in 6.5x55, that someone had started sporterizing many years ago.

I bought it at a pawn shop and finished the stock work.

I did not do everything that needed to be done, but it did turn out to be a nice little hunting rifle with both handloads and factory loads.

It was a carbine model with a 19 inch barrel.

It still has the original trigger which is terrible but it has proven to be one of the most accurate rifles I own.

A friend machined me a scope mount out of aluminum bar stock, and we mounted an old steel tube Weaver K6 one of the scopes made in El Paso.

I think they are neat guns to mess with, but with the one locking lug I definitely would not push the loading envelope.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think they are neat guns to mess with, but with the one locking lug I definitely would not push the loading envelope.

There is no need to push anything, with a 220 grain bullet at factory velocity it does a fine job.

Regarding the one locking lug.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/f...16&page=1#Post135316

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mike, do you have a pic of the krag i sold mark benenson? if you do post a pic ...paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x55 don't come in 220 grain bullet weights.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, No I don't have a picture anymore, maybe Mark will be along.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, which Krag did you sell me and when. I am sure I still have it but there are dozens of them here.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank DeHaas in his book "Bolt Action Rifles" kind of passes over gunsmithing the Krags saying that so much has been written about that, that there was no point. He said that practically every issue of American Rifleman, and every other gun magazine, had something in it on gunsmithing the Krag every month for decades.