New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Everyone
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had this same basic comment posted in several of my builds over the last couple of years, it usually boils down to a simple statement like "great work from a Master Gunsmith/Master Craftsman" or something similar to that effect. While I greatly appreciate the compliments and it's nice for the ego to have fans and customers that consider me a Master, it begs a Question;

My question is what constitutes a Master Gunsmith in this Country(u.S.A.)?

The reason I ask is because I don't consider myself a Master, I apprenticed under a Master and while some of my skills are as good or better than his in certain areas, my overall work is not even close. In Several countries in Europe it's easy to define what makes a Master Gunsmith, they still use the Guild system. You have to start as an apprentice, then work up to Journeyman and finally submit your work to be evaluated by other Masters and if you are really that good then they give you a title of Master with the Guild. The man I apprenticed under has a Guild Recognition as a Master with the Guild in Suhl.

So what do you think defines a Master Gunsmith in the good old u.S.A.?

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably acceptance into the American Custom Gunsmithing Guild would be the best indicator of one's abilities. It certainly would be the best place to get a real critique of your work, what you do well and what areas need improvement.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question and good reply. I attended Colorado School of Trades, apprenticed with Don Klein and was accepted into the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. I am not currently a member, however it is time that I rejoin and support the organization. There are a lot of facets of the gun business in the U.S., Benchrest gunsmiths, custom pistolsmiths, .45 Auto work, high dollar Varmint rifles, Contender work, the list goes on. I consider a lot of the people doing the work on the firearms listed as Master Gunmakers. What constitutes a Master Gunmaker? Part of it is very personal, a Master Gunmaker never quits learning, and always strives to do the VERY best that he or she can do. There are people doing work whos styling I find atrocious, however their execution is superb.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And those who build MuzzleLoaders.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
To me a master gunsmith is someone who fully understands all aspects of function, can competently make any needed repairs to any firearm, and who can manufacture parts if necessary. He should be fairly quick in assessing the job and capable of, and, willing to reject a job if there is any question regarding the overall outcome of the job. In other words, he needs to be honest in his dealings with the client, putting the success of the job over any financial concerns. A master gunsmith/gunmaker knows where to add some flair. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often heard reference's being made too a Master Gun Smith , Long before I ever met the gentleman ,maybe 25 years before .

Here's the funny thing ; When I spoke with him about a project , he was pleasant offered several options and upfront about time cost completion and variables . After I was given the opportunity to personally examine some very FINE works of Art ,which resembled Rifles previously only seen in Magazine articles . I then made a comment about him being a Master Gun Smith , I was quickly corrected !.

He said ; " I prefer Master Craftsman , firearms maker or Gun Smith . Many consider me a Master engraver an I'll accept that tile, as I worked for X amount of years attempting to achieve notoriety for my work . Many consider me pretty good at stock making ,an yes I know how to build an action along with all the necessary components including a barrel .

However I DON'T build barrels nor make actions ,as the people before I started have done a pretty fair job ,so no sense in reinventing the wheel so to speak . What I do is Fundamental Refinement of Function and then Elaborately Accessorize .

The Keene firearms customer requires a fully functional firearm ,which suits their purpose ,NOT MINE ; However some allow me to indulge and dress them up occasionally ! "

Freddy Brunner Circa 1984 ( So I would say Fred Qualifies )

I'm not sure Fred is still with us, hopefully he is !. Last I knew he was still residing in Escondido ,CA. however it's been a number of years since I've had the pleasure of seeing him .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the very good replies, more are always welcome. It's all useful insight to me.

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote