New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinished?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm researching a Winchester Model 55 I am considering purchasing. It's a 30W.C.F. solid frame gun that is serial numbered in the M94 range, 10783XX which dates it to 1930.

The gun looks great, 99%. I can find no dished screw holes, all the screws look perfect, no carry wear on the receiver bottom. The barrel is beginning to get a slight plum cast to the blue but it's not thinning anywhere. The wood has a few dings but all the varnish is there and has aged beautifully.

The question arises from the polishing marks on the receiver sides not being perpendicular, looking as if done by hand and not machine. If it's a refinish, it well done but, still a refinish. what do you think?

The flash pictures show the color of the blue, I was having some issues with the old point & shoot so some were taken w/o flash.

thanks, Rob

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

My vote is refinished. There are many give-aways as you mentioned with the polishing especially fore and aft of the loading port. Vertical and horizontal polishing marks on the same surface.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto...no doubt a re finish...seen worse by a long shot

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
i looked at my 94 from 1932 that is excellent condition for comparison and without question it has been refinished. The polishing marks are a dead give away. But it looks to have been done very nicely. None of the screw holes are divoted, the edges are still crisp where they should be, and the text is sharp and and not thinned out at all. For the right price it would be a nice rifle to own.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
refinished but looks very nice!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It looks refinished, but unless you are buying it as a collector piece or the seller is representing it as having original finish, it doesn't matter.

Goerge

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Looks like a re-crown, too. Nice shooter but not a pristine collectable.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Ialso believe it is refinished. Not only are the polish marks in front of the cartridge plate longituidinal, while those for the first half of the receiver (to about the middle of the cartridge plate) are vertical, But the camera apears to show the rear half of the small hole for the pin just over the cartridge plate to be dished.

And finally, to my eyes something is just "not right" about the stock finish gloss. It does not look like the many other unrefinished Winchesters I have owned from that period and seen over about 60 years.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote