THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Legendary Sports square bridge Mauser actions?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Legendary Sports square bridge Mauser actions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Run away, run away fast!

I bought one from Alex Imports thinking it would be similar to the FN Commercial 98. BOY was I wrong. I must agree with a previous post here about hiring from the third world. The machine work was about as sloppy as I've ever seen on a rifle action. The receiver ring was not concentric with the bore and the dovetails were cut WAY TOO DEEP for my taste. It's too bad it was a piece of junk, because when you think about it, it takes about the same amount of time to machine a good action as it does a junk one. The 3 position safety was another disappointment. Bolt handle wouldn't close all the way so the third position wouldn't engage.

I sent mine back for a refund and purchased 3 VZ-24 actions and was very pleased with the WORLD CLASS machine work done on them.

Just my $.02

gunmaker
http://users.elknet.net/chico

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had any direct expcerience with the square bridge Mauser action that is being imported by Legendary Sports?

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yea, I bought one Took 2 1/2 months to get it, after calling and demanding a refund they decided to send it.

After I got it, I wish they would've sent my money back instead. The one I got was pure junk! The fit and finish is nasty at best. The 2 position safety feels loose and sloppy, it has a nice two click motion going back, going forward you can't tell if it's in safety or fire mode, pure mush. J.Belk wrote in previous post this isn't fixable.

When the floor plate is open it will swing from side to side (NOT OPEN AND CLOSE). It would need work to be usable.

The trigger is as nice as any I've ever used on a Mauser, big deal eh?

The action is supposed to be made in Belgium, That may be true, but I think the Belgium's are Chinese immigrants Either that or their reputation for building fine firearms has gone to hell in a bucket!

All of this might be able to be fixed by a gunsmith and all of them may not be as crappy as the example I got. Mine found a new home at the last gunshow and I wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy. I paid $399 for mine and I think I paid $299 too much for it

I'd find one of those old Sears FN action rifles and use that action for your custom project.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, also where the bolt and the cocking piece made contact, it was hack saw rough. had a serious grind when you opened the bolt. BAD,BAD,BAD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow,

Maybe they experimented on his first. I got one in a dealer special but maybe we are talking about a different action. Mine has a 3 position safety and and although it was stiff to begin with it cleaned up and functions nicely. The action itself wasn't finished badly at all. I could have surface ground it but I chose not to. I do not particularly care for the dog leg bolt handle. The square bridge was cut for a set of rings that did not exist at the time of manufacture. I understand that now they do have a set to fit it but they are not of very high quality. The square bridge can easily be recut to fit some Talleys. The bottom metal and floor plate functioned normally and I can not understand how it could swing to the side. I am not doubting TC1's experience, mine was just totally different. It was made in Italy.

At the time I barreled mine, I was in a class of Mark Stratton's at Trinidad State Junior College. The class was on octagon barrels and tricking out Mauser actions. I did a half round half octagon on mine in 9.3X62. Another gentleman at the class also had one that he had purchased. He had atteneded Trinidad and graduated in the 50's (no special importance to that, just thought I would add it - also a wonderful person) and he also had one. I was looking over his and asked if he had special ordered it and he said no and then asked why. I noticed that the serial number on this Mauser 98 clone was 98. He barreled his in a 30/06 family cartridge and was happy with it from my understanding.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey Chic , The side to side play in the floorplate was from a VERY loose fit. Mine came directly from Legacy Sports. I may have got one that was built on a Monday or by a disgruntled employee, but regaurdless, what I got was junk. I mis-spoke, Mine had the 3 position safety also.

I may gotten the rotten egg out of the bunch but it took 10 weeks to get the 1st one. I didn't think it was worth sending back, I may have never gotten a replacement.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked one up - first impressions are very good, I will go over it carefully before I barrel it - if I run into anything out of the ordinary, I will let you guys know. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote