New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage 99
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it possible to increase the spring tension on a savage 99 rotary magazine?
Thanks

You can't miss fast enough to win

Posts: 73 | Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It definitely possible to put one back together incorrectly and have not enough spring tension. Frowner

Has your's gotten sloppy over time?

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, I have not done so but I saw on the savage forum on 24hrcampfire that some have put too much tension on it during reassembly, and while taking mine down for rust bluing and restocking, I seem to remember seeing how it could easily be done. I am sure I will remember precisely how to over-tension it when I reassemble mine....

anyways, that forum has some good 99 info.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guy Morrison:
Is it possible to increase the spring tension on a savage 99 rotary magazine?
Thanks

Removing the forearm exposes the "Carrier spindle nut" which you turn to increase the spring tension. But first you must remove the "Carrier spindle head retaining screw" that is on the side of the receiver that holds the rotary magazine in place. This screw is located directly above the counter window.

The carrier spindle head is notched to allow passage of the retaining screw in order to hold the tension. Remove the screw, turn the spindle nut to the desired tension and then align one of the notches through the screws hole so as to pass the retaining screw, and install the retraining screw. It's simpler to do than to try to explain.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Westpac
Thanks for the info it was a 100% fix
Guy

You can't miss fast enough to win

Posts: 73 | Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote