New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with Rossi front sight
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,

I've posted this on another forum and didn't get many responses so I thought I'd try here.

I have a stainless rossi leveraction in 44 mag and put on an XS ghost ring sight set. I don't like the post sights that came with the set so I ordered a marbles ivory bead sight. I didn't know before I ordered the new marbles sight that fits a standard 3/8 inch dovetail where the dovetail on the rossi is larger and the marbles sight slides right through with very little resistance.

I tried shimming underneath it with a piece of aluminium drinking can which gave it a nice tight fit, however when I fired the rifle a bit and the barrel heated up the sight came loose again.

Does anyone have an idea on how th make this sight fit so it is removeable? I thought of using an epoxy and fixing it there though I might want to change it later. I was told to use a punch on the bottom of the dovetail. I can see how this could work though I don't want to do this to the rifle. On an ols marbles sight I have I have drilled 2 holes in the bottom of it and filled it with liquid steel and left a layer on the bottom of the sight around 1mm thick. I plan to file the base where the liquid steel is to try make it fit. I don't know if this will work so I'm just after any other suggestions as I can't think of any other way.

Cheers
Rick

Posts: 13 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use regular steel shim stock epoxied to the bottom of the sight. Your idea with the liquid steel should work too but may give you fits if you shoot enough to really heat up the barrel since LS will soften with heat.
Failing again, I would see if Brownells has something that actually fits that dovetail.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Mike. Can you buysteel shims specifically for this or would I just make one up out of some stainless? What epoxy would you reccomend? Will I be able to remove the sight one day if I need to if I apply the epoxy?

Thanks
Rick

posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

Just looked up the quicksteel part I used http://www.afcinternational.co.../cargo_chemicals.htm It says it's good for 266 degrees. What do you think? This stuff shouldn't melt or get soft. Maybe the thermosteel down the bottom would be a better choice, I never seen this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a rifle that uses a set screw to hold the front sight, perhaps you could drill and tap a hole for a 6/48 socket screw on yours?

Posts: 238 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote