New
Find
Notify
Tools

03 Springfield, accurizing ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm trying to get my (military config) Springfields as accurate as possible. I'd appreciate any tips and tricks, but I also have a specific question: should the front sling swivel/retaining band be tight? On one of my rifles, the band is loose even with the screw as tight as it'll go. Should I file the sides of the sling swivel so it'll tighten down more?

Like I said, I'd appreciate anybody's tips on other accuracy enhancements.

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
I'm trying to get my (military config) Springfields as accurate as possible. I'd appreciate any tips and tricks, but I also have a specific question: should the front sling swivel/retaining band be tight? On one of my rifles, the band is loose even with the screw as tight as it'll go. Should I file the sides of the sling swivel so it'll tighten down more?

Like I said, I'd appreciate anybody's tips on other accuracy enhancements.

Thanks,

Steve

About the only things you can do with a stock military bolt action is first make sure that the bore is in good shape and that the stock is straight and not warped. Next you need to check the headspace, recrown the muzzle, clean up the trigger pull, bed the receiver and make sure the sights are tight and provide a clean sight picture. When that's all done, work up a good handload and stick with it. The front sling swivel band should be tight. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Malm.

I bent back the tabs on the band, removed the sling swivel, and was able to get it tight.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote