Find
Notify
Tools

416 Taylor!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally have it!

I'm working on the final shaping of the stock, fitting it to the metal. It weighs out right around nine pounds, by the bathroom scale. I used Argentine bottom metal, so it looks like 2+1 rounds.

I've got ~50 rounds loaded up, and as soon as I can get it properly bedded, I'll be heading out (which means about a month or so). I will try to post pics too, maybe tomorrow.

Thanks to those who have given me hints and tips along the way.

Best to all,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see the pics Todd.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd

Give us the complete rundown. Brand of barrel and all accesories and accoutrements. Who did the barrel fitting. Loads tested and accuracy.

Posts: 1531 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<rolf>
posted
Todd.
Welcome to the family of proud 416 Taylor owners. I�m sure you will be pleased with your new friend.
And like the man said, it would be great to see some pictures.
Regards/Rolf

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Pictures might end up being a few days, so here's the rundown:

VZ-24 receiver with '09 hinged bottom metal
A & B barrel (inexpensive, but I can't argue with results from past experiences), 24"
Dakota island rear and NECG banded front sights
London guns barrel band swivel
Tally bolt handle straight down, with no backsweep

The receiver is polished, everything else is matte -- the opposite of old M70's. IT & D did the work, excellent quality.

The stock is Richard's old classic english walnut with minimal buttstock figure; 2 crossbolts. The wood store I use for woodworking supplies was out of ebony, so it has a snakewood (!) forend tip, similar to bocote / zircote. The butt was left long, and I put on a Pachmayr F-550 pad, for total 15" LOP. I have long arms.

Expensive route? Yes! But more satisfying for me than buying one already done.

I can't wait to get out and shoot it, unfortunately it may be a few weeks. I have to wait for the front sight bead, at least. For the first batch of ammo, I used 68 grains of RL-15 with Hornady 400 RN's. I'm open to suggestions for other starting loads -- I just took the minimum off of Saeed's reloading page.

Thanks for your interest,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Sounds like a great rifle. Although I'm suprised that you'll only get two rounds in the magazine.

Anyhow, for more load data, you can check out my webpage.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd- think you're gonna love the Taylor!!! I built one a couple of years ago and feel another coming. I do a lot of guiding for and hunting of bears. I would love to have a short barrel Taylor with a peep on it for such occaisons!! (last spring I stopped a blackie at 9 feet that bent on having me for brunch- I used a 25-06)

Enjoy it!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I'm hoping to break it in this fall on a Michigan black bear. Permits can be a bit tough to get, so I don't know if that will work out. If not, I guess I'll use way too much gun for a northern whitetail.

I considered the peep sight -- I still might go to that option. Right now I have a single blade express setup.

Todd