Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1999 Stock Boyds or AI
 Login/Join

posted
I think I have decided that I am going to keep the action and build it up. I have narrowed down my stock choices to a Boyds or Accurate Innovations.

The Boyds are pretty cheap, but are they junk?

In the AI, walnut and Laminate are about the same price. I think I like the Monte Carlo look because to me it has more of a custom gun look.

If I do go with the laminate, which color looks best on stainless, brown or grey. I would greatly appreciate some Hi res photos of a boyds and a AI to make a educated comparison.

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

Rob

Thanks,

Rob

Posts: 14 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I can't say anthing about AI - No Knowledge of the company. But Boyds makes stocks ffor many manufacturers as wel as individuals. They are not junk.

They strike me as basic & fuctional in their approch to grades of walnut stock blanks. One may have great grain and the next may look lika a 2x4. Go for Boyds if you wand function.

May I suggest Richards Microfit Gunstocks if you want to upgrade the looks & grain in your stock (all the way up to AAA grade).

They are formed but not sanded as the boyds stocks are. I do not have the website but they come right up on a search. My 2 cents worth.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I have a Boydes JR laminate on my M1999. The stock was originaly for a M70 Winchester as they didn`t make one for the MR action at that time. The M19999 is a very close copy of this action they fit with a very little extra work. I have no experiance with the AI stocks but I`ve heard nothing but good about them. The Boyde is a good quality stock but isn`t light wgt nor is it as pretty as the pics I`ve seen of the AI. The prices reflect this.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to always sound like an ad for Roger Biensen...but I would at least check out his stocks before going with Boyd’s or, heaven forbid, Richard’s.

The big difference? Biesens products have far more truth and accuracy in description, consistency of quality, and they will stand 100% behind anything they sell to you...which cannot be said of the others mentioned.

In my opinion, Roger’s prices are extremely competitive and you get far more for your dollar with his products than you will at the others. He doesn’t offer all the “whiz-bang†styles, but that’s a good thing IMHO.

http://www.biesen.com/page2.html

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Do you guys have any photos you could send me of Boyds, Biesens, and AI as they were delivered. I guess that is my big unknown as to what they actually look like when they are shipped?

If you are unaware, http://www.imageshack.us has a really easy way to post photos on forums.

Thanks,

Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

If you do a search on here you will find tons of posts that will describe the huge differences in stocks received from each company. They will run from really nice to totally unusable pieces of firewood. You will find none like that, that I have ever seen or heard of, about Biesens.

Buying a stock from the others mentioned is, at best, a crap shoot, and you really never know what you will find until you open the box. I got a stock from Boyd’s that my action almost fell through, the inletting was so loose. I also got a really nice two piece stock from them for an 870 shot gun...but I had to send the first two butt stocks back before I got a good one.

To me, that is far more trouble than it is worth, and outweighs any possible savings in price, and I will not buy their products again.

Roger Biesen (IMHO) is a “craftsman†while these others are simply “manufacturers.â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Is there any chance you could post some pictures of the Biesen?

Thanks,

Rob

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I had an AI done for a mod 70 short action. I did not upgrade the wood and it's maybe a grade below what you'd get with a model 70 super grade. I got the classic design with raised cheek piece. laser checkering and black forend tip and grip cap. It went together like a custom fit and bedded stock. Barrel free float was also a perfect fit from action to the end of the forearm. I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy another. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobP:
Rick,

Is there any chance you could post some pictures of the Biesen?

I don’t have any pictures, and don’t have a digital camera.

If you go to Biesens web site they have pictures of their rifles...which use their stocks.