New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lock time for actions
 Login/Join

<rigfer>
posted
Whats the locktime for different original actions like mauser, remington, winchester, tikka, savage, kimber, steyr and sauer.

How much can you improve the locktime by changing firingpin, spring, changing boltliftangle and so on.
IS it actually worth it for difficult hunting or competition shooting, or is all milliseconds just theory?
Can locktime make the difference between a game remaining at it shotplace or still running?

<allen day>
posted
All things considered, it really doesn't matter, especially for big game hunting, so don't worry about it!

Allen

one of us
posted Hide Post
Still quite new to the game, so bear with me...

I don't know too much concerning the other actions, but Mausers are widely known for being verrrrryyyyy sllllloooooowwwww with locktime, compared to other makes.

For the Mauser, locktimes can be reduced somewhat by installing a strong spring/light pin combination, but then you need to watch out for primer piercing (and adjust the firing pin accordingly). At any rate, a speeded-up Mauser is still slower than most modern actions...

Quicker locktimes are beneficial, according to the benchrest crowd. As for hunting...if your quarry is at a stop, even a hundredth of a second or two is too quick for an animal move out of the bullet's kill zone, if one aims for the heart/lung area...that's just enough time for the game to snap their head in your direction to see where the noise is coming from. Then, it's too late...the bullet's already on it's way.

That's been my experience, at least...

TXLoader

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<rigfer>
posted
Has any tested locktimes on actions, like magazines and such.

At Etronx site it says that actions have locktimes from 2,8 to 8 ms, maybe mauser is even slower.

What action has 2,8 ms locktime?

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Locktime in general for your average hunter is not too much to be concerned with, but it does have an effect in long shots. It isn't the fact that your quarry can move out of a bullet's kill zone due to the locktime, it's the follow through of your shooting that makes the difference. This can be exaggerated by the differences between shooting a 1911 style pistol and shooting a single-action. The locktime on the single-action is considerably longer, hence the more difficult to shoot accurately. The same can be said about a bolt-action like the Mauser that has a slow locktime as compared to a Winchester or Remington that is much faster. While I have shot Mausers with military 2 stage triggers that grouped under .375 at 100 yards, it's not easy. Your form must be much more refined in order to shoot a rifle with slow locktime. If you're shooting at extreme ranges, every little bit helps, but I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the weight of pull is comfortable for you shoot well. You'll find that will play a bigger part on your shooting than the locktime. [Wink]

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
steve Otteson's Bolt Action books list lock times for all the major actions. For example;
Mauser 98 - 5.2 ms
Springfield 03 - 5.5-7.6 (depends on model and year)
Enfield 17 - 6.5 ms
Winchester 70 - 3.5 ms (Hornet is quicker), post 68 is 3.0 ms
Remington 700 et al - 2.6-3.0 ms (short and std action)
Weatherby Mk V - 2.9 ms
Remington 788 - 2.2-2.3 ms
That's from the first volume. For a hunting rifle I don't think it makes much differance. Hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 788 had the fastest lock time of all bolts, followed by the 600/XP. but, the electric triggers are, d'cord, faster.
jeffe

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know wolf makes springs in varing weights for many actions which are found in Brownells. You can improve your lock time considerably with a Tubb firing pin and spring for the remington 700 action.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
I've been thinking about getting a G. David Tubb titanium accellorated firing pin for my Remington M700 300 WM. I dont have a terrible problem with flinching, but every time I do I want to kick myself. With a lighter trigger pull (2.5 pounds, adjusted a couple weeks ago) and the new firing pin, I wont have time to flinch.

<BigBob>
posted
RIGFER,
I have Tubb firing pins in all my rifles. It's not because I have more money than I know what to do with either. The first one, I did a lot of playing with. They do make a difference. Is it because I think it will Or is the difference real? I have no idea. I've fired groups with the original pin in, replaced it with a Tubb's, fired other groups, then replaced the original pin back in and fired some more groups. The rifle was cleaned every time the pins were changed, twenty rounds. It did make a difference. Several of my friends who shoot with me have installed the Tubbs in their rifles and are happy with them. I hope that this is of some help. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Boren:
I've been thinking about getting a G. David Tubb titanium accellorated firing pin for my Remington M700 300 WM. I dont have a terrible problem with flinching, but every time I do I want to kick myself. With a lighter trigger pull (2.5 pounds, adjusted a couple weeks ago) and the new firing pin, I wont have time to flinch.

As a fellow flincher I have some bad news! Such cures are only temporary. Your brain will get used to when the gun goes off and slowly start to anticipate it - voila your flinch is back!

The only way to redress the problem is to re educate the brain that it does not hurt - break out the 22rf and have at it. I have to do this about once a month.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by David Boren:

dave,
shoot a smaller caliber! duh.
dennis

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Just mix in some dummy rounds and let a friend load your gun. Then you'll se some seriuos flinching.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote