New
Find
Notify
Tools

LW barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the barrels that I've had custody of, which includes Shilen, Douglas, PO Ackley, CP Donnelly and the mentioned LW, the ones I value most are those made by CP.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I own(ed) 3 Lothar Walther Barrels and all gave full satisfaction. They were very accurate, very easy to clean and didn't copper foul (hand honing).

Blaser R93 .222 Rem with fluted LW bbl

Win 70 with LW .338 Win Mag barrel

Ruger 77 Mk II VT with LW SS Match bbl. .308 Win

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just FYI Ordered a couple LW barrels and got them in three weeks. The new folks in charge are paying attention to business.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good. I think LW will figure out why their barrel sales increase.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI I had Jim Kobe order a LW barrel for me on Mar 31. The finished rifle was delivered to me on June 9. Ten weeks total including bluing. I used a LW barrel because they offer a duplicate barrel for the pre 64 Winchesters with the dog knot. Excellent service from both Jim Kobe and LW.

Bill V

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Got my LW barrels today, I had ordered 2. Was quoted an 8 week delivery and got them in 7 weeks.

Posts: 798 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of us who are financially challenged which is the best cheap barrel one can buy.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Green Mountain; they are as good as any and better than the other low end ones.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I hate to even suggest this but it has sure worked for me.
Remington take off barrels. Guys peel these off so quick for their "custom" builds.
Along comes a cheapskate like me who spends under 100$.

The last 24" 308 win take off I screwed on a model 7 that previously had a 19" pipe. Man does it shoot. But I didn't need anything fancy.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is true, but I find the caliber selection limited and boring; otherwise, they make good tent stakes too.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen reamer marks in numerous button rifled barrels. Some marks had been ironed out by the botton while some had not. One Shilen barrel had such prominent reamer marks on the lands that I called and asked if they werebeginning to cut or broach some barrels. In this particular instance, the bore was a little larger than normal and the lands were untouched by the button. Still shot just fine but was a bit homely.
Used a half dozen LW barrels. Not a single one was straight but the interior finish looked good. Good finish or not, one 7mm barrel was one of the worst foulers I ever owned (briefly owned, that is).
Any time there was a real issue with a barrel from either Douglas or Shilen, the barrel was replaced with no song and dance required. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee Well Billy, I've always sort of had the photo-bug and early on I learned how to take pictures of bores with long lenses and after market apertures. I have some pictures of some real cluster fucks.

I call this one the double buttress, ratchet bumfuck rifling. How someone could let this come out of their shop is far beyond my understanding. The instant I looked through it, I had to rush out and have the prescription changed in my glasses and after that made it worse, I decided I needed pictures to prove I wasn't making it all up.

rdh by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After reading this post, I called LW up. They had what they call the Mauser "E" profile, and had one left on the shelf. I think I got my barrel before I even ordered it, or something like that.
Yesterday, I ordered a Krieger #18 varmint profile from Lester Bruno. It should arrive tomorrow. AR-X has a nice selection of 6mm, .224", and 6.5mm Bartlein barrels to go, and not all of them have fat profiles. Sinclairs stock has been skinny for the last two months. It's still easy to check their inventory with my morning coffee.

For hunting rifles I am going to start using dpcd's type "A" profile barrels on Mauser actions.

A few years ago, I got a Brux barrel in 9.3, 1:12" twist, and sooner than quoted. It is a nice smooth barrel, without marks.

If a quality single point cut rifling manufacturer could put out a quality product in a timely manner, well I better stop hoping for the impossible.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
coffee Well Billy, I've always sort of had the photo-bug and early on I learned how to take pictures of bores with long lenses and after market apertures. I have some pictures of some real cluster fucks.

I call this one the double buttress, ratchet bumfuck rifling. How someone could let this come out of their shop is far beyond my understanding. The instant I looked through it, I had to rush out and have the prescription changed in my glasses and after that made it worse, I decided I needed pictures to prove I wasn't making it all up.

rdh by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Rod
you are going to have to learn to open up and express your feelings or you are going to blow a gasket Wink

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:

Rod
you are going to have to learn to open up and express your feelings or you are going to blow a gasket Wink

coffee Like Billy Leeper, I used to be much more open and expressive about my feelings and such. But I received a summons from the Canadian government with a cease and desist order. It seems that many of the people that I had been open and expressive with had required treatment for mental trauma afterward and I was becoming a drain on the health care system !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote