Find
Notify
Tools

Fixing a bulge in a shotgun barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
I recently picked up a Winchester model 12 20 gauge.
It has ring bulge in the barrel about 6 inches back from the muzzle.

Is anyone on this forum familiar with fixing such a condition or those that do this type of work.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Kirk Merrington in Kerrville Tx... or take it to Brileys in Houston.. both have removed dents... bulge??.. maybe not...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Roy from Memphis says he removes bulges.

bulge removal

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rib complicates matters. Years ago, I took an idea out of some gunsmithing book:

A pipe cutter with all rollers! With a rib, just have to take if off and re set after repairs.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
mmm parallel roller with an insert.. and where do you get one.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
A rib complicates matters. Years ago, I took an idea out of some gunsmithing book:

A pipe cutter with all rollers! With a rib, just have to take if off and re set after repairs.

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I did this once. Still have the cutter with the smooth rollers. I failed though....the barrel cracked. Perhaps if I had heated it somewhere along the way to soften it up it would have worked. It did roll the bulge out well. If I remember I made a slug to go in the bore to prevent it from collapsing. Not to give up I cut it off, soldered another piece of barrel on the end, reamed and honed the bore.

Posts: 328 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bbl bulges sometimes crack when pushing them back into shape. The metal has been pushed beyond some stess point that I don't understand as I am not a mechanical engineer nor pretend to be.
I think the metal is already cracked whne bulged many times though it can't be seen with just a plain visual examination.
Hammering or otherwise pushing it back into place doesn't do anything for strength. It can look nice though.

Heating them (stress relieving(?) and then pushing them back into shape would likely have a better chance at success if not already cracked.

I saw a set of AH Fox bbls with a bulge just in front and at the bottom of the rt chamber repaired by a so called restoration master.
Easy fix he proclaimed..

The bulge was cold hammered back into place,
The bore & forcing cone polished out and the outside damage and hammer work refinished.

Once the bbles were re-rust blued, the damaged area was hard to pick out unless you knew of it before hand.

The right bbl burst on the 2th round.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metallurgists client brought me up t o speed on "elasticity" Example is paper clip...three sheets of paper will not stretch the metal beyond coming right back to original shape

Go to the point where the paper clip does not return to original you're beyond elasticity and on the way to failure.

Same thing must happen in a bulged barrel..not sure how you determine if that happened, but a safe alternative is to anneal, slightly reform and anneal again as judgment calls for and anneal after final shape is attained.

Never tried to heat treat afterwards..beyond my pay grade, but believe it safer not to even try . A bulge at the chamber or very close would give me pause

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Metallurgists client brought me up t o speed on "elasticity" Example is paper clip...three sheets of paper will not stretch the metal beyond coming right back to original shape

Go to the point where the paper clip does not return to original you're beyond elasticity and on the way to failure.

Same thing must happen in a bulged barrel..not sure how you determine if that happened, but a safe alternative is to anneal, slightly reform and anneal again as judgment calls for and anneal after final shape is attained.

Never tried to heat treat afterwards..beyond my pay grade, but believe it safer not to even try . A bulge at the chamber or very close would give me pause

That parameter is known as the elastic limit.

The bulge in it’s own means the elastic limit was exceeded.

Think of a 30” waist pair of shorts that going on and off the person that they were meant to fit…versus putting those same shorts on a 40” waist person — they never return to 30” again…they were plastically distorted due to their elastic limit being exceeded.

Barrels stretch as a load goes through with each shot. This stretch, more correctly termed barrel strain, is commonly measured in pressure testing with strain gauges fixed to the barrel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bulges are fixed all the time. With a small hammer and a mandrel. Heat helps a bit but you really need a LOT of heat to reanneal the metal and special cooling regimen. Then ream and hone. Reblack. Not worth it for a Model 12, it will cost more than the gun is worth to do it right.\

There isn't any pressure to speak of at that point in the barrel.

And yes it may crack if the bulge is big.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent one to Keith Kearcher years ago...came back perfect.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Bulges are fixed all the time. With a small hammer and a mandrel. Heat helps a bit but you really need a LOT of heat to reanneal the metal and special cooling regimen. Then ream and hone. Reblack. Not worth it for a Model 12, it will cost more than the gun is worth to do it right.\

There isn't any pressure to speak of at that point in the barrel.

With respect…it took pressure to create the bulge to begin with. Confused Maybe there was a dirt-dobber’s nest in the barrel. Cool

And yes it may crack if the bulge is big.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bore obstructions can significantly alter where in a barrel pressure exists.

But no firearms are designed to survive muzzle obstructions.

As for why they crack, it's less a matter of exceeding the elastic limit and more a question of what the ductility of the material in question is.

The aforementioned example of the paper clip: A couple of sheets of paper and the clip returns to it's original shape when they are removed.
Shove it over a thick pile of paper, and it bends. But it doesn't break. However, if you bend it repeatedly in the same place, it will eventually break. But the wire they are made from is very ductile.

Make the same paper clip from a piece of high-speed steel and it will require a lot more force to bend, but it will also break much sooner if bent.

Posts: 504 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not gun related.

I worked for Cleaners Hanger Co. years ago.

Take any clothes hanger and twist the hook slowly.
It should twist off at 1 1/2 turns. Try it and see.

Very interesting subject when you get into tempering steels.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
Here is a tool designed and made back in the 1960's to measure the chambers and chokes of all gage shotguns. In ten seconds you could tell if the choke had been altered or see if you had a swell in the chamber to the end of the forcing cone. There weren't any quick ways to see what was inside the barrel. I will posts pictures and a drawing of dimensions. This tool will work on 410-10 gage barrels by bend the end to fit inside and then set the dial to zero. As you move the reading on the dial will tell you the diffenence between the bore dia. and the section you need to know. If you want the true diamenter we had a 3 ft long mic that you could get the true diamenter. My designed tool would make a quick determination as you need to know the different in the bore and choke diamenters. It may take a couple of posts to get this posted. After inserting the prongs into a barrel ZERO THE SETTING BEFORE REMOVING AND SEE THE READ OUT ON THE DIAL. We checked the reading with a long mic and compared the results by measureing across the small prongs of me tool and found that it would be about .001 difference.

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
My drawing made in 1993

One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
The above tool has nothing to do with a swell in the barrel. Our shop would not try to compress the steel back into a large bulge, but would hammer out small dents. This tool was used lots of times and made a great deal of money quickly. I made of couple of these tools for gun show traders to find out if a shotgun barrel had been altered before they would pay fare prices for a trap shotgun. If the barrel is long enough we could cut off and install Polychokes.

The prongs could be bent to fit any barrel and the amount of pressure on the dial indicator was so light that it didn't make any difference

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen a couple of older guns that were repaired with bulges that have been shot for years according to the owners!! I, personally would replace the Barrells, on most factory shotguns and would not buy one, I have a policy not to buy someone elses problems if I can help it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I sure hope Timan gives us an update in the next week or two. Which choke is on the barrel Mr. Timan?

A question for all ---- Would a full choke barrel be most prone to developing a bulge near the muzzle?

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With respect…it took pressure to create the bulge to begin with. Maybe there was a dirt-dobber’s nest in the barrel.

That type/location of bulge is usually the result of an obstruction or overchoke and it's the lead that causes the problem, not the gas. With respect.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I sure hope Timan gives us an update in the next week or two. Which choke is on the barrel Mr. Timan?

A question for all ---- Would a full choke barrel be most prone to developing a bulge near the muzzle?

It's a full choke and the barrel is stainless with a full length rib.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went through this recently with a customer who had an expensive pre-war Sauer that had a minor bulge in the barrel.

A friend of mine is a master gunmaker from Germany who works on shotguns extensively. He called around to see if anyone would be willing to take it on. The short version is that unless you are willing to spend a significant amount of money, it is not worth fixing.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Timan,

Did you ever call this shotgun barrel guy?

shotgun barrels and stocks

I think the gun is worth saving if it is one made in the late 20's.

quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stainless? Are you positive? That would be a new one on me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's worth millions! One of kind. Well, maybe not millions.

Posts: 768 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The barrel is stamped stainless, in where all the rest of the markings are near the breech end of the barrel. Is this unusual?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I apologize, I let my mouth out run my brain. Dave Riffle's book notes that Stainless Steel was offered as an "extra" in the 1925 catalog. It was subject to an additional charge. Additional quotes, "Problems and complaints were pouring in regarding the stainless steel barrels"(1928). " The problems persisted with the stainless steel barrels, causing sales to rapidly decline" (1929). It appears that the complaints revolved around finish.

Posts: 768 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
apparently, the finish was called Japaned seems to be some form of coating, which is mostly intact on this gun.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if the bulge will grow if I shoot it like is and will this affect the pattern.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Timan,

Did you ever call this shotgun barrel guy?

shotgun barrels and stocks

I think the gun is worth saving if it is one made in the late 20's.

quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
quote:

Yes I did but his voice mail just says call back no messages, probably catch him eventually.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since there are so many Winchester model 12 shotguns out there but they aren't being made anymore I wonder why some of the extremely talented gunmakers don't make barrels and other parts that wear out for them.

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
For Duane - Model 12 with SS barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WEll...Son of a gun...would have bet a big mac on this! Thanks much!!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No problem DW,

For what it's worth, most of the ones I've seen offered or sold online in the last 15 years were circa 1927 and had the solid rib. Polished barrel examples seem to bring a few hundred more than black coated ones in similar condition.

Good luck Mr. Timan.