THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for good books on custom rifles...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
in regards to styles (Brit vs. classic, etc). I'm reading Modern Custom Guns by Tom Turpin and Custom Rifles by Steven Dodd Hughes. Any other suggestions? Are there any books that are considered standards on this topic?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
in regards to styles (Brit vs. classic, etc). I'm reading Modern Custom Guns by Tom Turpin and Custom Rifles by Steven Dodd Hughes. Any other suggestions? Are there any books that are considered standards on this topic?

I know of nothing more recent than the two you mentioned above, yukon. I have them both, as well as two earlier publications; Contemporary American Stockmakers by Ron Toews and Custom Guns a soft cover cover book by Gun Digest and DBI Books I believe. Both of these latter works are difficult to find now as they were printed in the early 80's. The Toews book is large with beautiful black and white photos. It of course covers the makers of the time, Fisher, Goens, Biesen, Pilkington, Milliron, etc.... (even stocks built by Winston Churchill before he concentrated on engraving).

The collective works of John Amber's work for Gun Digest over the years would be an interesting volume. Tom Turpin has the interest and the talent to write on the subject. Hopefully he and others will continue with periodic releases.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukon Delta,
You have two of the very finest. One was published in 1979 by Ron Toews of Enid Oklahoma. It was similar in foremat to Steve's book. It is near impossible to find. People were featured in the book and a small article written on each one. All those in the book got a copy, I have Maurice Ottmar's original (it was lost for a time). His widow has a second one that has been signed by all of those featured but I do not know if whe would sell it.

I just bought my second copy of the Gun Digest "Custom Guns" by Ken Warner. It is a good one too. Soft cover, also out of print.

I am not making it easy.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
There is an excellent video from the American Custom Gun Makers Guild presented by Jack Belk. It is excellent & you get to see a lot of different styles & very nice rifles, accessories, engraving etc. If this is your first custom this video is a must.

Also is a guide that can be purchased seperately to accompany the video. Has checklists etc.

JohnT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too sure what you are looking for but my wife just gave me a book by Jack O'Connor - titled "The Big Game Rifle" - I don't know if I have ever enjoyed a book on firearms so much. Now the material in this book is dated - he's been dead 20 years - but his insight into what makes a fine hunting rifle is priceless and in some ways timeless advice - its available from Barnes and Noble. Also the pictures of custom rifles from that era are beautiful examples of the gunsmithing art. He has the ability to relate actual hunting experience to rifle design and caliber selection. Hope you find what you are looking for. I grew up reading his articles in Outdoor Life so I'm for sure predjudice.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox,
Are you referring to "The Gun Digest Review of Custom Guns" that was published in the late John Amber's lifetime? I have a copy that I bought at a second hand book sale for Rs 50 (US$1) and I enjoy reading it every now and then. It must have been the grand daddy of Tom Turpin's book which is also and has brilliant colour photographs but isn't as technically detailed as the Ken Warner/Amber one.

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote