New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baretta 92 barrel interchange
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I own a Baretta 92FS chambered in 9mm. Does anyone know for certain if it possible to convert to the other two calibers, .40 S&W and .357 Sig, simply by replacing the barrel, magazine, and slide spring? I posted the same question at the Baretta website and the automated reply was unclear.

If it is possible to convert to another caliber, any suggestions as to where the parts are available will be appreciated.

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to replace the slide, magazine and barrel.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LeeOtis, Most of the time when I have seen pistols that have been changed over. The pisol used to start with was a model that was at least a 40 caliber to start with. For example, a Sig 229 or a Glock 23. I am not saying that it cannot be done but that is the trend I have noticed. I would try to find the specs on the frame of a Beretta that was originally a 40. I think it was a model 96? I would then compare it to the model 92 & see if there are any major differences.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not sell it and buy what you want?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If u only want to change the barrel, magazine, and recoil spring your only choice would be the 41AE (Action Express), which has the same rim diameter as a 9mm. These were somewhat popular at one time but when the 40S&W appeared there wasn't much call for them. I'm not even sure you can still get brass.

posted Hide Post
LeeOtis, CDNN sports sells a kit for just such conversion. It has a complete slide, bbl, guide rod, and magazine. The kit costs $149, it's advertised in this months sales flyer. I have ordered these for customer guns, and they all really like them. They keep both slides complete and switch calibers when the want.

Chd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you CMercer. I ordered the advertised special at CDNN and it shoots great. The .40 S&W slide, barrel, etc. is the 96G model. I also ordered an additional .40 magazine. It is chambered to hold 11 .40 rounds or 15 9mm rounds and will work in the 9mm configuration. It is kind of a plus that in addition to the .40 conversion, free watch and shooting glasses, the slide arrived with Trijicon night sights installed. This Beretta .40 S&W conversion kit is an excellent value.

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheaperthandirt.com sells a conversion kit for your 92fs this kit will turn your 92 into a 96.. Once you have this kit you can go to Midwayusa.com and buy a 357sig barrel that will work with the 96 conversion (not the 92).... Here is the link....

Cheaperthandirt

I hope this helps.....

Posts: 31 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote