New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Standard Model
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently came across a Mauser Standard Model rifle for sale at a pawn shop. It has the Mauser banner on the front receiver ring, a standard flip over safety, and a fine trigger. The bottom metal is a military type with locking screw. It has a FN type bolt handle with checkering on the flat of the bolt knob. Is this a put togeather rifle or did it come from the factory configured this way? Is this a commercial Mauser action or a military conversion?????

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Standard Modell was a contract rifle for the German Post Office, Police, Border Guards, and Civilian Marksmanship clubs. It should look to be military, except for better fit and finish.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was it worth $275.00???? For the whole rifle.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Forrest is correct. Unaltered it should have a straight uncheckered bolt handle. I used to be the proud owner of an unissued Standard modell / GHOST modell (SG/42 over stamped with Mauser banner) but I traded it to another Mauser collector Bob Landis, the fellow who makes the semi auto BAR for a k98 sniper. That should give you an idea what the ghost version is worth. It was a wash i guess.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure wouldn't pay that for a rifle that does not even have the correct bolt. What do oyu want to do with it? Use the action for a project? THen that is a lot for this action. Have an example of a Standard Modell (it has 2 "L"s). THis one doe not have the correct bolt. You could find one for $50 or so and then sell the incorrect bolt on it. Of course, the wood would have had to be releived to fit the bent bolt handle, so it i sscrewed. SO you have a Franken-Standard-Modell for $275. Would be hard to ever get your money back, but if you just want it, get it

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
LB404,
unaltered SM's generally bring premium prices to 1909 Argentines and on par with 35 Brazilians or Chileans.

If you're buying the action for a project, I wouldn't worry about the bolt handle as you will probably replace it anyway. $275 seems reasonable. Unaltered, a complete rifle is worth $500 or more to collectors. If the bolt matches and only the bolt handle was replaced, I would certainly consider it for a project rifle. Oberndorfs are getting scarce.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I thought it was a better deal than, it seems, it was. Would this be as good an action as a G33-40 metal wise??

one of us
posted Hide Post
LB404, I know one of your buddies that would like it (C.B.) if you decide you don't want it after all...........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
metalurgically speaking, it is as good as a G 33/40. Not anywhere nearly as desirable from a custom rifle standpoint. Not that anything is wrong with it, but the 33/40 would be more in demand and bring more money. If you are looking for an action donor, a military V 24 would be as nice a rifle and you can get one for $70. If you sold the rifles, you may get $25 more for a Standard Modell.

Was the stock cut under the bolt handle?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your description of the bolt handle is that of a Kar98a, which in itself (esp. if matching to itself) will bring $50 plus... The Czechs made a similar bolt, marked with 'circle Z' proofs, but not seen very often - only on the Brazilian bent bolt VZ24 in 7x57, as far as I know.

A real Standard Modell bolt is straight, and has BU proofs on top of the stem. They are not easy to find. A standard model should have either "Standard Modell" (may also have "1924" after that) or the "Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf a/n" legend on the left side rail. The front ring should have the Mauser banner, possibly with a date (1933, 1934) below it. If the left side rail is blank and the stock is recessed for a bent bolt, what you have is a Banner K98 - these usually don't have German commercial proofs either.

$275 sounds a little steep for me, especially if you are thinking of just the action, and really especially since I paid $75 for the last two Oberndorf commercial actions I bought.

Best,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read in the Ludwig Olson book Mauser Bolt rifles , the 1933 Standard Modell for the Deutche Reichpost have the bolt handle turned down .

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Quote:

especially since I paid $75 for the last two Oberndorf commercial actions I bought.

Best,
Todd

Want to make some quick Christmas money?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hows that 7x57 coming along Todd? That sure was a fine action & the work you put into it was excellent. Photos! photos!

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote