Find
Notify
Tools

How much will this cost?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How much will it cost for this project?

To change an SMLE No.4 MK1 that is already sporterized into 7.62X39 caliber.

Thanks for any estimation.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I have no idea
Just thought I'd ask why? Why change to such an anemic (by comparison to the 303british) caliber?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about because the 7.62x39 is cheap, accurate, plentifull, and fun to shoot.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, GSF1200 read my mind.

Why not .303? Well I don't believe firing a full-power cartridge in a gun that has rear locking lugs. Some enfield even have extra shoulder clearance in chamber, not good for reloading cases.

And like said, 7.62X39 is fun.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You will need a new barrel, as you cannot add metal to the chamber, so barrel and chambering $250-400. You will also have to get the bolt face ringed for the smaller dia rim, and extractor welding for the smaller rim ~$100. One last thing, it won't feed worth a hooey from the mag.

For far less then the cost of that work, you can get a brand new charles daly 7.62X39 mini mauser barreled action ~$250. Not sure what stocks will cost, but you ought to be able to get something in the $100-150 range.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Be nice Pyrotech, or I'll sick the 303 guys on ya.
I don't know where you live, but around here, the 303 is far more available.
As to the rear locking lugs bit, the 303 will never hurt 'em at anything like regular pressures.
Suggest you bone up on the 303 and the SMLE There are a number of dedicated sites on the net.
As to your headspace problems, change the bolt head. Really cheap.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing unsafe about the rear locking lugs on the enfield. You might recall an obscure firm that made a rear locking bolt rifle for almost 20 years, Remington. It was the model 788, if I am not mistaken. And it was chambered in the 308 Win.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot, there was another rifle with a rear locking bolt. The Winchester Model 94, and kin.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would think the cheapest route would be to buy a cheap surplus SKS or something similar.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Pyrotek, are you afraid the SMLE won't hold a full-power load, or just don't like the case loss you get from the stretchy action?? The No. 4's are even pretty good .308's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK I surrender, SMLEs are fine guns.

The goal of this project is to build a "bolt-action rifle chambered in a low power, same bore diameter caliber with medium accuracy potential, high pleasure coefficient, and low cost on ammo and reloading components". So I figured 7.62X39 is one choice.

Paul H, you really should get to know an SMLE, SMLE is a god's gift to a project like this, most problem you mentioned don't exist except the mag feeding : Barrel can be set back, SMLE has a flat bolt face, and the extractor blade sticks out just enough for the smaller Russian round rim.

Pete E, I already have an SKS, don't like its mediocre accuracy. Scoped it too but it's a hassle.

eldeguello, I am aware of the Ishapore 2A1 .308Win you mentioned, if I can get my hand on these, I'll get them too.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrotek:
How much will it cost for this project?

To change an SMLE No.4 MK1 that is already sporterized into 7.62X39 caliber.

Thanks for any estimation.

How much? How much money ya got?

Signed,

Dewey, Cheetum, & Howe
Custom Gunsmiths

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mexican small ring 98 in 7.62x39, I love it. It's a fun gun to shoot, and it's accurate it does MOA with the elcheapo Russian ammo. I need to chrono it, I wonder what it will do with it's 22" barrel. It's really nice to shoot, muzzle blast is virtually nil.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSF1200 (What does your name stands for?),

Is your small ring mauser originally chambered for this round or it's modified from a standard bolt-face, what's involved?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weren't "Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe" bankers? Of the con artist variety, if I remember. Anyway, LOL, it was a great referance. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Suggest you have a qualified machinist sleeve the chamber with a reduced section of an old .303 barrel or similar, and then rechamber with a rented reamer.

The alternative is to yank the barrel and install a cheap pipe from Numrich, then chamber.

Any alternative will cost as much as a decent SKS, likely more.

<eldeguello>
posted
"Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe" are not bankers. They are the Tappet Bros.s' (Click & Clack) law firm!!

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
How dare you impunge our quantifications and ethertical standurds!

D, C, & H

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the best bet is to set the barrelback sufficiently to recut to 7.62x39. I think 125.00 would do it. You supply the reamer or pay the rental. Don't think I'd want to buy one. Rifle would be a single shot. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palandin and Bill, Thanks for reply.

I figured the rifle will have to be a single-shot as well because the bolt-head and ejector configuration will not eject the brass although it would extract fine.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Pyro - jes never mind all them other fellers worryins an' concernins 'bout fixin' up that ther shootin' arn o yers. Jes send us it and all yer money an we'll take care a everything!

Reliably yours,

Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe
Custom Bank...oops GUNsmiths!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think the name (D,C,&H) was also used by the three stooges in one of their movies. But it seems to me that I remember reading about someone using that name as part of a scam in depression era Texas. Could just be a senior's moment though. Take care - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrotek:
GSF1200 (What does your name stands for?),

Is your small ring mauser originally chambered for this round or it's modified from a standard bolt-face, what's involved?

Thanks

All you have to do with the Mauser is weld up the extractor, gunparts corp sells a kit for mausers, you get a barrel, spacer, mag follower for $100.