THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Best made or quality control factory action..bolt

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best made or quality control factory action..bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which action do think is the best made out of Rem 700, Ruger, Model 70 and Wby Mark V.

Best made, not best design.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Mike375,

In picking the best made "action" where design cannot be one of the criteria for choosing, I would have to base my opinion on what is winning in competition and what our military and law enforcement community is using for their tactical weapons and I would have to say that Remington is more than likely the winner. Followed very closely by Winchester, Weatherby and Ruger.

Weatherby probably has the best overall finish and appearance of the group with Winchester a close second, but I would have to say that Remington is the best made of the group. I think the market and sales of the Remington 700 bear this out. But I may be wrong...
[Smile]

Malm

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Since we're going with best made, I personally would say the Ruger. Best design, I'd say Remington., although the last one I bought was dodo on a stock. If most handsome is on the agenda, It's the Winchester all the way. I like the Weatherby for the blistering fast rounds they shoot! Remember you can get a rifle by any of these manufactures that will shoot as good or better than a full bore custom and you can also buy their most expensive model and get junkEeker

[ 01-09-2003, 04:53: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
I would have to say it's a crapshoot. I have owned a few Remington 700's but only one 70 Winchester and I have to say my Winchester's fit finish bluing etc. is much better than the Remington's I own or have owned.
I hate to use my one gun as some kind of standard though. But I have to say the same about the Winchesters I have shot of friends and the ones I have lovingly caressed down at the local gun brothel, I mean store.
I think the reasons Malm gives for the Remington being better built are a little flawed because in almost every instance they have taken a model 700 and tuned it for their needs. Which is the answer to a different question.
Who makes the rifle that is easiest modified to shoot well? The answer to that is easily Remington.
Just to let you know I am a Remington man myself but fore the above mentioned reasons. But even my laymen eyes know quality.
Keep in mind we are only talking about the guns you mentioned.
NOW AREN�T OPINIONS GREAT. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Bluetick,

You can take any of the mentioned "actions" and "tune them" but when the metal chips have settled on the floor and the lathe is winding down, more serious competitors "and" the Marine Corps, still choose Remington over the others mentioned... That ain't flawed thinking, that's reality!
[Smile]

Malm

<RVB>
posted
Depends on what you are using it for. If accuracy is the criteria, then the Remington wins hands down. Being a simple round receiver it is very easily "blue printed" for topshelf accuracy. And it is the "small block Chevy" of actions as far as aftermarket accessories are concerned. A benchrest (1 ounce) trigger is not available for any of the other actions you list but no less than four are available for the Remington 700. Being a round bottom receiver it will bed better than all the rest. And for rifle accuracy you need to follow the four "Bs", Bullets, Barrels and Bedding......
For hunting, the Winchester is the way to go. A Winchester 70 will never compete with a Remington 700 in the accuracy department, but for hunting, there is no better rifle that a model 70. The trigger is the simplist design out there. Very easy to clean and service should it get dirt or mud on it. Just about impossible to freeze up. The safety holds back the firing pin, not the trigger. This is the safest method there is. The bolt can be cycled with the firing pin retained. PERFECT! The fit and finish of the model 70 is second to none for a factory rifle. And IMHO, there is just no better looking rifle than a Model 70 Featherweight....Period!
The Ruger is a nice looking rifle, but offers nothing over the Winchester for hunting, or the Remington for accuracy. But if you needed an Africa rifle or an Alaskan bear rifle, The Ruger Safari rifles in 375HH or 416 Rigby for about $1000 are a fantastic deal.
Weatherby, I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Kind of big clunky rifles. Although the new ultalight rifle is interesting. The stock design of the standard Weatherbys will beat you up silly in a big boomer. But I guess if you want velocity and power, there really aren't many choices in a factory gun.
Hope this helps.......

<bearlake>
posted
"small block chevy of actions"

I like that!

<BigFoot 15-4E>
posted
RVB,
Afew questions if you please.
I am interested in buying a new Model 70 eithor in SS/SYN or the super grade.

I have seen a rathar alarming number of posts critisizing the latest batch of M70s with claims that the so called "been counters" have caused a steep decline in the over-all quality of the present crop of M70s, and thay are prone to poor accuracy and lots of problems and failures.

I have no first hand knowledge of Winchester M70s, but have handeled quite a few lately, and was set to buy one on 7mm WSM till I read all the negative posts.

Whats your opinion of all this? has the M70s quality control sliped any? I have looked at 2doz+ now of the Classics and Super Grades, and I have been quite impressed.

I would realy like your opinion, as you seem well informed on M70s.

Regards Bigfoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not have a Remington but I have owned Winchester, Weatherby, and Ruger and Weatherby would win hands down for me, given the choices and criteria stated above. Thanks!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
Bigfoot,
I have no idea what folks are talking about when they say Winchesters have quality problems. I was just up at Kittery Trading Post in Maine and handled a bunch of new Model 70 Classics and they were all superb. I recently bought a Model 70 featherweight in 6.5 X 55 and it is wonderful. (Although I rechambered it to 6.5-284) The factory barrel shot under an inch as a 6.5-55 and it now shoots the same as a 6.5-284. I still contend that for a true hunting rifle, the "Rifleman's Rifle" can't be beat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the ones you Mentioned Weatherby, Ruger is the worst built.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Best quality out-of-the-box has to go to the Weatherby Mark V.

Best basic action design: Winchester Model 70.

Best action after extensive customizing and modification: Winchester Model 70.

Best results with minimum customizing: Remington 700.

Excellent for the price but not for customizing: Ruger 77 Mark II.

Cheeziest-Built/Accurate Junk Award: Browning A-Bolt.

Most accuracy and best finish for the least money: Tikka.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
Best quality out-of-the-box has to go to the Weatherby Mark V.
--------------------------------------------------
The Mark V's cost a lot more than others so this is not a good example unless one says that the money should be spent on the others also. But then the Weatherby looses as it's a poor design.

Best basic action design: Winchester Model 70.
True.

Best results with minimum customizing: Remington 700.
I reject the Remington design for a hunting rifle. The out of the box accuracy comment used to be true.

Excellent for the price but not for customizing: Ruger 77 Mark II.
?

Cheeziest-Built/Accurate Junk Award: Browning A-Bolt.
Agreed.

Most accuracy and best finish for the least money: Tikka.
I don't like the design.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I'll add most accuracy for the buck: Savage 110, especially if you replace the trigger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cncerning the Browning with the bos sysyem being junk.
Today there was the American Shooter on TV. They showed a Browning shoot off by amateurs. Sounds OK so far. The only stipulation for the shoot was that you had to shot a Browning with a boss on it.OK again. Then after reporting that the winner has a 100 yard group of 5 shots of less than 3 tenths of an inch they went on to tell you that he was a long time paper puncher and that he hand loaded all of his ammo. And the winner went on to say something about that he was very exacting about his reloading practices. Does this mean that the boss systems are superior to non boss guns? Or does it mean that you could probably achieve the same results with a non boss gun given the fact that you spent a vast amount of time and energy to make your ammo to fit your gun? I am not sure how much accuracy you need for hunting, but I think that you will never get a standing 5 shot chance at one animal anytime. Also if you can hit a 1 inch or slightly larger target at 100 yards that that ought to be good enough accuracy. What do you think?

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<BigFoot 15-4E>
posted
Thanks for the reply RVG.
I also have handeled and inspected 2doz+ winchester Super Grades, and Classic Stainless and was impressed enough to be willing to buy one as my next rifle. I was at the Cabelas in Dunedee Michigan when I did so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You owe it to yourself to check out a CZ 550. I have the American in 9.3x62 and it's superb. Cost was about $550, but I could have beaten that a bit on the web. Hope this helps, Okie John.

<Frank>
posted
Best out of the box = Sako
Best accuracy = Tikka
I have found the Tikka's to be more accurate than any others out of the box. It may not be My perfect Idea of the perfect action but so far it wins hands down in accuracy.