New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convert Pre-64 M70 to .375
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a customer who wants to convert his pre-64 Win M70 in .30-06 to .375 H&H. I have done this conversion to M1917 Enfields, no problems. I have a new magazine box and was wondering if the magazine opening was lenghtened to the front only, or a little to the rear also. Also the factory parts list shows a different follower, any one have one of these?

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Bill, I'm glad you're getting to take on a new project. I think Winchester lengthened to the front only. I hear most consider it a better idea to lengthen some to the rear. This will be determined by which bottom metal you're using. I'd call Jim Wisner about the follower. I think he's still making them.

I'm certainly no gunsmith and have told you all I know about what you're attempting. This might be a good opportunity for you to take the action over to the shop of someone who's done several of these projects and perform the surgery with him looking over your shoulder. This will probably improve the odds greatly that you and your customer will enjoy the outcome.

If you can, post some pictures of the work in progress and let us know how it turns out. We'll all learn more about this together.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy my 1938 Mod 70 in 375 H&H? Then the customer would not have to give up his '06.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a pre-'64 (post war) H&H length action for sale also and might consider the '06 on trade.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
how much for the action

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Eddie,

I'm interested in your 1938 375. Didn't see an email address to pm you, but let me know the specifics and pics would be a huge help. I would also like to know if the rear bridge has been drilled for a scope mount. I'm in the office all day and will be home later tonight.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email me for price and condition.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote