New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna barrel thread question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a chance to buy a nice used Husqvarna 8x57 cheap, barrel is toast, good donor action. Are the barrel threads on the Husqvarna the same as a Mauser 98? Thanks, Russ Green.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which husky action is it?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, it's a commercial action with the crown on the receiver, sling swivel on the barrel and a ramp front sight.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could have a FN mauser98, or a m46(small ring m96 action), maybe a 1600 which is husqvarnas own modified small ring mauser type action.

The m46 im sure is a small shank barrel 1600 probably is also .

Look here
http://www.pettsons.net/m46.html

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I believe all the 98's regardless of shank diameter are 12 TPI (actually, the metric equivelant) thread. The best way to find out is to jerk the barrel and use a screw pitch gauge on the threads.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Husky 146 which is not to be confused with the 46.

the 146 is also an M98

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is pretty easy to se.
If the frontring is reinforced(larger diameter) it is based on a FN mauser, or Husquarnas own 98, The threads is 12TPI an thread outerdiameter is 28mm(slightly bigger than the original m98 +.1mm), threadlenght apx 16mm
If it is an smallring M96 M38 and the civil versions of those(coks on closing) along with model 1600. 12TPI OD 25mm threadlength apx16mm

If it is an model 1900 (the one with the dowetail shaped lockinglugs) it is 12TPI. OD 25mm, threadlength apx19mm