New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 284 conversions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone built this cartridge on standard 30-06 or 308 actions. I am interested to know how much changes are required to make them feed well in a bolt gun. Any EXPERIENCED opinions would be appreciated.

Curtis

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I build 6.5x284s on Remington LA actions quite often. No work at all needed for them to feed properly. BTW the short actions IMO too short for the 6.5x284 when you seat the bullets correctly. IF you want to stick with the 120 grain pills you might be able to squeeze them into a short action. Even with a Wyatts extended mag box Wyatt's extended mag box

installed in the SA they are still too short. A good option for the SA ia a 260 Rem AI.

OR

Run a 6.5x284 reamer in .135 short to end up with a case length of 2.035 (same a 243,260,7mm-08 etc). instead of the standard 2.170 of the 6.5x284. The base of 6.5x284 brass is .495 & the reamer is .500. The diameter of the reamer will be .499 at the point where the reamer was run in short. Kind of like they did the same thing when they first created the 30BR from the 308 win. Off course now custom dies are required. Better yet is to just buy a neck sizing die & grind off about .140.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:
Has anyone built this cartridge on standard 30-06 or 308 actions. I am interested to know how much changes are required to make them feed well in a bolt gun. Any EXPERIENCED opinions would be appreciated.

Curtis

Curtis,

I've read a lot about the 284 wild cats and will 2nd or 3rd the recommendation to build it on a 30-06 length action. Always made me wonder why someone hasn't developed or offered a longer 284 type case. Seemed if it was wild-cated on the standard action the case could be lenghten about 0.3"

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done many of them also. As Doug said Long action and nothing more required. Short actions are too short for the length of the cartridge with the bullet seated normally. Great shooters by the way. I use Kiff's Norma match reamer, it is set up for VLD bullets to seat at the base of the neck.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcorn*In 1966 or 67 Akley rechambered a 6.5 x .284 for me from an exceptionally fine 6.5 Jap, 29 1/2" barrel. There wasn't much work needed to get it to feed good. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. We were looking at a LA for the bullet seating reasons previously mentioned. Good to know to swap out is pretty simple.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote