Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman #35 Sight for Mauser 98 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Do you have to modify the stock on a Mauser sporter to fit a Lyman #35 receiver sight? This is the one that attaches to the bolt release. I've read you don't have to, but I got some really clear pictures of one off of the internet and it looks like you have to remove a portion of the stock below the bolt release so the bottom of the sight can "return" underneath the bolt release.

I've find one I want to buy, but I don't want to spend the $$$ if I have to modify my stock.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yes, you definitely have to remove stock material under the bolt stop. I'm too tired to go measure but I'd guess at least .100".

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Yes, you definitely have to remove stock material under the bolt stop. I'm too tired to go measure but I'd guess at least .100".

OK - that's what I thought. Agree, looks like .1-.125".

I'll pass on the sight.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or have a stock made to fit....

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, if I had a chance to get one of those sights (and could afford it) I wouldn't think twice about altering a stock to accept it. Unless the alteration is done by a 12 year old with a rusty pocket knife, said alteration by no means will detract from the stock, IMO. If you can afford one of those sights, you can afford the stock work, I should think.

It's like "If you can afford the Ferrari, you can afford the tune-up."

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, if I had a chance to get one of those sights (and could afford it)

Such opportunities present themselves on eBay if you're willing to lay low and snipe a deal in the closing seconds of an auction; however, I caught a guy nappin' on a 10/22 stock a while back, made the only bid, and lo and behold, he returned my paypal payment when he discovered a crack in the stock that had mysteriously escaped his scrutiny prior.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
How much do these sights go for Nowadays?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Lyman35

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Damn! That is exactly what I paid for a genuine Oberndorf sporter with one on it several years ago. A nice rifle that had been rebored to 35 Whelen, but is otherwise unmolested. Guess I got a better deal than I thought!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote