New
Find
Notify
Tools

soldering stainless
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to solder a cylinder of stainless to a brass ring under an inch on both. Question is will Brownells silver solder and flux work. I have both hi temp as well as the lower with fluxs for both. Has any one used these??

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
I need to solder a cylinder of stainless to a brass ring under an inch on both. Question is will Brownells silver solder and flux work. I have both hi temp as well as the lower with fluxs for both. Has any one used these??

How about plain old flux coated Brass Brazing rod tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No.
However, a quick google tells you special acid flux is needed to join SS to brass.
Silvaloy and UltraFlux sounds like your best combo at Brownells.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I have ordered the correct flux and we will see what happens.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use Harris Ag56 And the appropriate flux from your local welding supply.

It is about as low temp as silver"hard" solders go and matches the color of Stainless steel, it also flows really well and flows amazingly between close fitted parts

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/4551059542

Once I learned I had to brush it onto the surface of the stainless to achieve tinning, it went very well. I thought the Brownells Hi Force 44 matched the stainless barrel just fine.

Posts: 53 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tsturm,
How about plain old flux coated Brass Brazing rod.
Get a Clue!

I'll place a $1000 bet on that procedure that it ends in disaster.

Silver Brazing is elementary in comparison.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
tsturm,
How about plain old flux coated Brass Brazing rod.
Get a Clue!

I'll place a $1000 bet on that procedure that it ends in disaster.

Silver Brazing is elementary in comparison.

From looking at your website You definitely

know all about disaster tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't quit your day job as a proclaimed Kenai comedian.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
defiantly or definitely????????????????????

posted Hide Post
I have had the best luck with 45% silver solder. A touch of feather in the flame and lots of paste flux of the correct type for the solder. You have to be careful not to let the stainless blacken.

Posts: 9 | Location: Northern Calif. | Registered: 05 March 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
O.K. 1st are we talking about soldering or brazing? To solder S/S you will need a flux that is geared to use on S/S or C/u along the lines of "Sure Bright". If brazing or heliarking we use in the industry a product called silfos;basically a silver solder rod that we use to seal refrigerent lines.That does not require a fluxing agent. I think you mean the latter,but they do make a paste if required.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm referring to silver solder with a working temp. of approx 1100 degrees. It's been awhile but the paste flux is a white paste that wets out in the same temp range as the solder. The wire I got was 1/16" coil. The only brazing material (1700 deg) that would come close to doing a good job was nickel silver rod. Allstate #11 or Welco #17. The 45% was only available cadmium free for the food service industry.

Posts: 9 | Location: Northern Calif. | Registered: 05 March 2015Reply With Quote