New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is silicone spray ok to use on guns?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a lot of unused cans of silicone spray from when I use to pro fish a few years back.

We would treat the rods and reels with this stuff and it was quite successful at keeping moisture away and lubing the external parts, but the reels were mainly graphite whith no large metal to metal surface areas.

I want to find a use for it now as I don't do as much fishing, and was wondering if it would be ok to treat ALL the parts of my firearms including the bores.

The silicone is super slippery and seems to dry, not attracting dust etc, but will it be sufficient to lube the actions on my levers and pumps and keep corrosion away?

Cheers.
Boof....

Posts: 90 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and use it to your hearts desire.

The only caveat I would give about silicones is once they go on, they stay on in the wood. If you are planning to refinish a stock anytime in the future, do it before you start putting silicone on it otherwise sometimes it can be difficult to remove it all and you'll get blemishes in the finish.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
The only rifle I ever used silicone on was an M1 carbine I used for a boat gun . It was constantly exposed to salt water and silicone kept it from rusting better than anything. It always functioned properly. I wouldn't use it on any rifle I cared about for the previously mentioned reasons plus it wears off of friction surfaces more quickly than other lubricants. It might work better in cold weather,but I have no experience in really cold weather hunting. Mabe some of the Kanukistanis or Alaskans could comment. [Wink]
Covey

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote