Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd question, any ideas appreciated
 Login/Join

posted
A little background on the question first. My dad lost his eyesight 20+ years ago and hasn't been able to hunt since. He really wants to try to find a way to be able to shoot and hunt again some how. We are looking for a way for me to sight for him so that he can pull the trigger. We are considering any options. The question is do you guys have any ideas? Ultra high scope mounts, double scope mounts, video scope, etc. are just some of the ideas we've come up with but don't even know where to look. Lasers are out for anything but practice. Can't use them to hunt anything here. Any websites, links, books, anything at this point would help a lot. We are just starting the process and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 17 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I don't know of anyway that I can help,but I hope you and your dad get something worked out.Surely someone here can help.
I have been hunting since I was 10 and in my 60's now and I cannot even start to imagine what it would be like to loose my eyesight.
Maybe you should contact your states wildlife office and see if they can come up with some ideas.Good luck to you and hope you find a way.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a television show on goose hunting, where one of the shooters had a video camera mounted to the shotgun. maybe something like that, looking at the sights. I think the show was realtree, and was on the outdoor channel.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was on this program. Looked pretty nice, could see the view down the barrel.

http://www.realtree.com/roadtrips/schedule.tpl

Manitoba Full-frame, in-your-face duck and goose action. Shotguns roar and birds drop as Michael and retired game warden Ken Athon reunite for another exciting hunt. Reality TV, Realtree style.
Nov. 19, 21, 23

Also, this might help!

http://www.dhna.org/

[ 11-28-2003, 04:05: Message edited by: arty ]

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you could find a (or have made) a scope with a right angle eyepiece, a prisim eyepiece, or even a mirror mounted at 45deg to the eyepiece that would allow you to stand beside him and provide direction.

Find someplace that does camera/microscope/optics repairs and explain to them what it is that you need to do, I'll bet they can come up with somthing for you.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
First, I would contact the dept of conservation or whatever it is called in Utah and ask them about vision limited hunting. You might be able to get a waiver for a laser sight. Otherwise I saw a cam used on a telescope, looked like it could fit on a riflescope too. I'll dig around and try to find a link for it.

Posts: 7765 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
One of the spotting scope makers out there (Nikon?) sells a video screen that hooks into their scope. Maybe you could get one of these and have a machinist make an adaptor to put it on a rifle scope.

If not that particular sysem, then how about an inexpensive video camera? Many today have a fold-out video screen. Again, a custom adaptor and some tinkering on your part could be just the ticket.

The crosshairs may disappear in the video screen. If that's the case, go to one of the guys who does custom reticles and get a heavier one.

My 2 cents.

[ 11-29-2003, 02:00: Message edited by: LongDistanceOperator ]

Posts: 7525 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was at my local gunsmiths several years ago and he was mounting an extra high scope mount for a fellow who had been blind for years. The mans son hunted with him and stood behind him in the stand and sighted through the scope for his dad. He had killed a number of deer in a several year period. I asked how did he sight the rifle in, and he said they were shooting at a feeder at a fixed distance that didn't vary more than four or five yards.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote