New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: CZ Mod 3 or Kimber 8400???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a M1999 for a while and am shooting a Kimber 8400 Montana in 270 WSM now. Due to my age and sudden discovery of the Kimbers I wanted lighter rifles. The M1999 needed more work than I expected and seemed heavy to me. Someone else may want the weight in a 300 magnum.

The Kimber goes only 6.3 lbs and handles recoil very well. It's light enough to be a woods rifle but it will shoot about as far as anything if the land is open.

That's where I put my money.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat, I've got an 8400 in both 300 WSM and 270 WSM and like them, they are very accurate. Despite my friend having some 'sticky bolt' issues with his 270 WSM I bought one anyway. I had not had any issues with my 300 WSM, but like my buddy, I have with my 270 WSM. About every 4th or 5th round, the bolt sticks badly. Kimber has been great on the phone and handled my friends issue without flinching, I am not overwhelmed with this issue, I have had it in a few other WSM's. I am learning that the amount of case expansion and contraction is such that it is easy for one of these rounds to swell and stick some. I have learned how to polish my chamber and this typically eliminates the problem. I will know tomorrow, as I will fire my
270 WSM for the first time since polishing it's chamber.
The stock has a straight style grip and both of mine have nice wood on them. The triggers are great, and as I said they are indeed accurate.
Regards--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't comment on the MRC and/or the CZ but I do have 4 Kimber 8400's. The Kimbers range from very accurate to extremely accurate for a Lightweight rifle. The 8400's fit me better than any other factory stock I've ever held. If you look around a little bit some of the Kimbers have really nice wood, some of the nicest you'll see on a std grade factory gun. They handle recoil very well. The only thing I don't like about the Kimbers are the factory bases. I recommend that you try the Talley rings and bases with them - I think Savage99 is in agreement with me on this one. The CZ may be a good gun too but I love the Kimbers and plan on even more of them (325 WSM, 257 WSM?, Montana's?).......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My (new) brother in law wants to purchase a rifle. He is returning to hunting and now that he has a relative who hunts in the great state of MT he plans on viusiting in the fall. He's a great guy and I offered to find him a rifle for him to hunt deer and elk with here. He has done some research and likes the 300WSM. I don't object, particularly, and think that he has three options. 1) Give up on the WSM and let me give him a nice 98 to build up a proper rifle around. 2) look at the CZ model 3. He is a great woodworker and has expressed interest in stockmaking. My go-to gun is built on the 1999 action and I love it. 3) Buy a Kimber 8400. I've heard nothing but good about this rifle but have no experience with it.

I would greatly appreciate any input on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two factory actions for the WSM. He can afford either. Thanks so much for the help.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote