Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 adapter
 Login/Join

<RAO>
posted
Hi there!
I know it is going to disturb some but is it possible to shoot .32 S&W Long in 7x57 via adapter.
The idea is that mild steel adapter like empty 7x57 case made with .32 chamber in rear with .284" smooth bore ahead in adapter,and cartridge is placed in such a way that the primer of .32 is in same place as 7mm.When .32 bullet is fired,it will see long cone and .284" bore which will squeeze it to .284" instead of .311",and bullet will enter into the rifle barrel as .284" squeezed.
The difference is only .027" or .685mm which is no problem when lead bullet and .32 velocity is considered.
Thoughts and comments.... [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't expect much from the accuracy department, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. They sell sub-caliber adapters (mostly for 22's but I remember seeing other calibers somewhere). Good Luck - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
This would work, but as mentioned, accuracy?? It would be no worse than the Jap. 6.5's which were rechambered for .30/'06, and had '06 ammo fired through .26 caliber bores, with no damage to the guns!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RAO
There was (or is) a company in Canada that makes a number of conversions like that. Mostly pistol cartridges that fit in the bore. I never saw any that used a larger bullet than the bore. I think you might be just waiting for an accident and law suit with that one. These used the same bore daimeter bullets.

I wish I could remember where I have seen them. they showed a cross section detail of the "cartridge case" and it had firing pin in it that went to the side in the case of a rim fire or up the center to the primer of the other cartridge in the case of a center fire. If I remember the object was to use a cheaper round if you were dear hunting and chanced upon a grouse etc. The $25 cost of these things took economics right out of the picture so they may have gone by the wayside.

Chic

[ 08-14-2002, 00:56: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<RAO>
posted
Friends!
Points are;
1) .32 bullet is of lead and is squeezed in the adapter and not in the barrel itself.
2) .32 bullet is heeled at base (like .22lr) and can easily be squeezed without damaging its base.
3)It is of semi wad-cutter design and norrow at front and base and only its mid section will be squeezed,and accuracr will not be that poor at 50 yards maximum range.
4) No other caliber is available for 7mm adapters.
There is a firm making adapters called Alex,but these adapters are complicaded to use in 7mm rifles and there lead caps are constant trouble. [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy that makes the adaptors moved to Alaska(I think). I have one for 7.62x39 for a 30-06 chamber that I've never tried. I also had a .22 rimfire that I used in a TC .223 barrel; it worked great due to the TC having two different firing pin sets. He used to advertise in either Shotgun News or Gunlist. Can't remember the company name.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAO:

I have an Alex adapter for a 30-06 that shoots .32 ACP, and it's very easy to use. If you get Handloader magazine, there was an add on page 19 for a guy in Edmonton who makes adapters. You may want to give him a try.

I'm mainly familiar with jacketed bullets, and would never try to put a .312 bullet through a .284 bore, but I don't know if this might be practical with a lead bullet. It seems like an awful lot to me.

Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
RAO---

You predicted your idea would disturb some people.

You're right!!! It's ridiculous and unworkable unless you just want to make noise......then firecrackers are much safer and more practical.

The pressure needed to swage the bullet to .284 is likely to be much higher than a small pistol primer will stand.

I suggest buying another gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

http://alexcartridge.com/

I have an adapter from Ace that shoots 7.62x25mm in a .308.
I have an adapter from Alex that shoots 32acp in a 7.62x54R

I really think the Alex adapter has a niche for carrying a grouse round in the pocket when deer hunting.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to the local gun show today, and there is a gent there who sells the "Hammond Game Getter". A sub-caliber adapter. it uses various sized buck shot and a 22 blank cartridge for power. His pamphlet shows buck sizes to coincide with .224, 6mm, .25, 6.5mm, .270, 7mm, .30, .31, 8mm (.32), .338, .358, .375, and .458. His address and phone number are as follows;
Hammond Enterprises LTD.
Box 41061
Petrolia PO
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6J 6M7

Hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI--Ross Seyfried reviewed the Hammond Game Getter in a recent issue of Rifle (may have been Handloader), if you want to read more about it.

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote