THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Who can duplicate cuts for a Remington extractor?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who can duplicate cuts for a Remington extractor?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am interested in getting a couple of replacement bolts for my Remington 700 rifles form either Dave Kiff at Pacific Grinding or Darrell at Holland's Gunsmithing. Both places use Winchester-type sliding extractors or the Sako-type in their new oversized replacement bolts, but I can get either bolt without extractor cuts.

Is there anyone out there who can duplicate the cut for a Remington extractor, and install a factory-type one? I know there are all the pros and cons of Remington vs. Winchester vs. Sako extractors, but I want the factory-type extractor system.

Posts: 66 | Location: Montana | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked my 'smith this question just the other day. He said he knew of nobody but did know of one 'smith who attempted it. This 'smith had to set up the bolt offset in a 4 jaw chuck, he then turned his lathe by hand to cut the offset groove which holds the extractor. Took him about 6hrs to get it right without messing anything up, this was on his own bolt so time was not a factor. The 'smiths conclusion was it can be done but not without some special tooling set-up.

I'm sure Big Green has some trick CNC set-up for mass producing their extractor grooves.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a world population of about 6 billion there is market for just about anything. However, I seriously doubt that anyone has found a market for changing a clean bolt head to accept the Remington extractor.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And on top of that, who in the hell would want to?

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did my own SA Remington, took a .308 to Magnum size, in a couple of hours. Had to grind the keyway cutter from .125 to .112 thickness and one setup in the Bridgeport mill. Then, rivet the new extractor in place.
A number of other people that I know have done it, also. The reason is to maintain the integrity and safety of the Remington 700 bolt design. It is probably the safest rifle to be shooting when a case seperation occurs. Opinion by Jay.
Yes, I've installed Sako type extractors but I prefer not to do it unless necessary.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That "integrity" you refer to is a bunch of bull $hit put out by Remington. With a piece made out of 4140 steel inserted in the bolt face when doing the Sako extractors, makes the bolt face much stronger than the original Remingtons, especially in the case of the magnum. IMHO

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that the Remington extractor requires the case head to stick way out of the chamber.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it is BS by Remington or not. I do know the 700s handle an extreme overload with less fuss than most any other. The bolt nose swells until it contacts the barrel counterbore and seals evrything in. It is effective. As for cartridge protrusion, I don't think it is a big deal although it had the potential to be so with early 220 Russian brass which was thin in the web. The Sauer 200 rifles use a similar extractor system and it works well for them too. I also have no real problem with the Sako type extractors. My favorite was the BSA cf-2 extractor which was an easy conversion and worked very well. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some bad misconceptions on this thread, safety first!

On the Rem 700 Sako type extractors, there is more than one shooter/idjit out there walking around with some Sako type extractor metal in his arm. When a overpressure load is fired, that Sako extractor is the first to go in a Rem 700. It travels right up into the shooter's arm as if aimed there. This was brought up to me by more than one 'smith who talked me out of that abortion contraption. Ask our own John Ricks about em if you want. Stick with the factory extractor on a Rem 700, they are fine.

And since we are on the subject of bashing factory extractors, the Win 70 CRF blade extractor is a POS due to its cast metallurgy. How about that one failing during a tense moment? An aftermarket spring steel replacement is the only way to go on a Win 70 CRF. Replace the factory extractor on Win 70 CRFs, they are junk!

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When we set up to machine the Rem 788 bolt heads. We were luckly to have several bad heads to disect. The extractor cut for the riveted extractor is not what you think it is.

Also think how did they reach into the groove from the inside and chamfer the the rivet hole to help clear the swaged cone on the extractor at the rivet.??

The rivetless extractor cuts are some thing else also.

It took most of a day to redraw the CAD and cut one 3/4 depth to try it to see if it would work. Then alter the program again and try again. If it was not for the CNC mill we would not have been able to do those cuts for the extractor.

This is why most gunsmiths don't offer this work.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote