New
Find
Notify
Tools

lyman borescope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i see these for about 2 bills - anybody know much about them??

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Fixed focus so sometimes not the Perfect sharp image youay seek but always useful. Not a Hawkeye in other words but useful enough. No need to bend over like a Hawkeye due to viewing screen and lighter than a Hawkeye with the Maglite light source. Fixed focus unfortuantely. Ability to take pics. I like mine. I can sit at a desk with a cup of coffee and scope a bore...

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I have one. It works OK. People with the Hawkeyes usually jump up and down and scream and yell that the Lyman is not as clear and sharp as the Hawkeye. Well, they aren't. But how many thousands do you need to invest in a tool that won't tell you how the gun will shoot or fix it if it does shoot poorly. It's the bald assed truth and it generally shuts them up. I had a Hawkeye and a Focuscope. They were neat toys. I sold them. If you're a barrel maker, buy the Hawkeye because it is a valuable tool that will allow you to gauge the quality of your work and spot problems so you don't keep making the same mistakes over and over. If you're just a gunsmith or Holly Hobby. You only need one if you have too much money. The Lyman will work just fine for the average gun plumber.

lyman borescope by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I had one, along with my Hawkeye. I found the Lyman to be nowhere near as clear an image, but usable. Compared to the Hawkeye, it was a PITA to set up to use, so I gave it to a friend of mine who doesn't have a Hawkeye.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All are useless toys for those who have too much money to spend. The only criteria for a bore is how it shoots. How it looks may, or may not be, any indication of that.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
None of these bore scopes comes anywhere near a German made scope my friend Dwight Scott sent me years ago.

The Hawkeye is pretty good, but that German made scope was way ahead.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
All are useless toys for those who have too much money to spend. The only criteria for a bore is how it shoots. How it looks may, or may not be, any indication of that.

We mock what we don't understand. Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Well John;

It's a foregone conclusion that you don't send Tom to negotiate for world peace, god forbid, parent teacher meetings. But he is essentially correct. I can hand you 10 guns and the best bore scope in the world and you won't be able to tell me which barrels will shoot well and which won't. On top of that. You can stare at the ones that don't shoot well with that bore scope for as many hours as you want and it won't improve it one iota! To complicate things even more. The problems that you find in the bore may have absofuckinglutely nothing to do with the reason that it shoots poorly.

Over the years we have proved that certain conditions in barrels can increase the odds of the barrel shooting better. In the hands of a barrel maker they are an indispensable tool. It allows him to see his mistakes and take the necessary steps to eliminate them. In the hands of the rest of us they are little more than a novelty item. Just another way for manufacturers to make money off of us. We could all go out and buy bras and start wearing them for all the good they do us.

coffee The brutal truth sucks, don't it? LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Are you saying my tits are too small for a bra? I guess I could use the cups to hold ammo.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Are you saying my tits are too small for a bra? I guess I could use the cups to hold ammo.

Actually, these days, you could probably show up to a NATO or PTA meeting wearing a bra and nobody could say shit. But no ammo in it! Unless of course The Don tells NATO to pound sand and changes the laws in schools regarding firearms.

coffee But you can't pee in the ladies washroom anymore. The Don may be a pussy grabber, but he's not a pussy peeper ! LOL

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very useful in determining if your cleaning regimen works. Which may or may not affect your accuracy. I've seen some heavy carbon deposits in some rifles which I could locate and remove. I guess if a rifle goes South usually something changed. You can load to have identical ammo to before but you may have used up barrel life. Confirming that helps a great deal in my opinion.

Do you folks without borescopes tell me you never squint down a rifle bore? Now thats a waste of time if there ever was one...

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
Do you folks without borescopes tell me you never squint down a rifle bore? Now thats a waste of time if there ever was one...

Actually, I squint down the bore of every rifle I pick up if I'm intending to buy it or shoot it. You should never use a gun without first checking that it's unloaded - - - - - then squinting down the bore to make sure it's clear of obstructions. After looking down tens of thousands of them it's pretty easy to spot washed throats from the breach end. Having an inspection pipe will give you a birds eye view of the throat too. Inspecting from both ends will make bulges very evident and using an inspection lens or even the naked eye 1 inch down the muzzle and looking to the side will give you a rough idea of pitting. Lots to learn from squinting, there is! But, beyond that you have to shoot the fool thing to see if it's worth owning. For the most part, squinting just tells you if its SAFE to shoot.

coffee

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i see these for about 2 bills - anybody know much about them??

I have one and like it. Fortunately for me, I've never looked through a Hawkeye, so
there's no disappointment there. Agree that you cannot tell the accuracy with any
bore scope. The smoothest factory barrel I have is not near as accurate as my rifles
with rougher bores. Go figure. However, it did let me know why one barrel lost its
accuracy, and why another wouldn't shoot from day one. It's a nice tool to confirm
things such as that.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:

Actually, I squint down the bore of every rifle I pick up if I'm intending to buy it or shoot it. You should never use a gun without first checking that it's unloaded - - - - - then squinting down the bore to make sure it's clear of obstructions. After looking down tens of thousands of them it's pretty easy to spot washed throats from the breach end. Having an inspection pipe will give you a birds eye view of the throat too. Inspecting from both ends will make bulges very evident and using an inspection lens or even the naked eye 1 inch down the muzzle and looking to the side will give you a rough idea of pitting. Lots to learn from squinting, there is! But, beyond that you have to shoot the fool thing to see if it's worth owning. For the most part, squinting just tells you if its SAFE to shoot.

coffee

Sure. We agree on that and I do the same. Thing is all the other look down the bore stuff you see better with a borescope. I have rifles that with my vision when clean look great but don't look too great when you can really see with a borescope. Anyhow... useful tool for the price of 100 to 150 premium bullets.