New
Find
Notify
Tools

McMillan Edge & 375 Ruger Recoil
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am building a lightweight 375 Ruger on a M70.I have an Edge stock that I want to use.They only reccomend them to 338 Win.I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes but thought it might lower recoil enough to work fine with the stock.What do you think?What brake would you reccomend?I had thought about Banser's short brake.

Thanks

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put a break on it if it were mine.

I don't think there is that much recoil diff. between the two.

I'm also building one on a pre64 M-70 action (Stanley Hammer Rifle), but I want it to hold 4 rounds down. I went with a #4 Lilja barrel.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.3x62 on an Edge stock and absolutely love it. A 375 Ruger should be every bit as good, ( better if you ask some) and will make a great rifle.
The "problem" with the edge stocks, as I understand it, is it can be hard to make calibers larger than the 338 shoot like an Echols or Miller or Borden. So what, no one is using these big bangers for shooting prarie dogs at 500 yds. Forget the brake as you can add one later if you really want one.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno, I spoke with Dick Davis on exactly this last year and concerning putting my favourite P-64 .338WM into an Edge. The lady at Micky seemed pretty unsure it would last and Dick was pretty cautious.

My buddy has two Echol's Legend stocks and spoke with Brian there about these and magnum recoil as they are Edge technology. They all came to the conclusion that if one used Devcon and cut out all the recoil lug area, replacing it with Devcon, it should be OK.

I am still contemplating this, as I have a Micky Fwt. stock re-done to P-64 bedding and might just slap that on my beloved .338 No 1.

I have a Micky AHR coming for my ZG-47-9.3 and am seriously thinking about an Edge for an HVA in 9.3x62 that I just found. I think that I will call Dick this week and see what he thinks, as these stocks cost a chunk landed here in taxhell Canada and I like to be sure.

I guess I agree with ol' "Grizzlyskins" here, a guy who knows his stuff! Like him, I would ask, tho'.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i spoke both with Dick Davis, and then more recentley to Darcey Echoles Re the EDGE stock
Darcey suggests you only use them in the standard cal like 270 06 280 , when you mention putting a 338 300 w in an edge you sence Darcy loses intrest....its really difficult to get them to shoot accuratley
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Misquoted again (sigh......)

This is what D'Arcy said, I very much like the McMillan Edge Shell and will continue to use them on our Legends when requested. However we will not put and Edge stock on anything that generates more recoil than a 300 Wtby based on some rather lengthy testing we have done with Legends that were originally stocked in Std Fill Fiberglass Legend Stocks. We have found that it is much easier to find a variety of loads that will shoot very well in the Std Fill fiberglass and when the very same barreled action is fit with a replacement Edge stock the same accuracy may radically change. In rifles that would agg .300 to .500 for 3 shot groups that it will no longer shoot .500 once in the Edge. In most cases the groups size increases by 125% with the same ammo assembled for rifle and tested for accuracy. In EVERY case we have had to work up another load to meet our accuracy standards when an Edge replaced an older Fiber glass filled stock. Often the newly stocked rifle required a lot of shooting before we found a new bullet/powder combo to shoot to ur likeing. Remember these are barreled actions of know accuracy and often we're using the same lot of powder and bullets or even loaded rounds of the clients that allowed the rifle in the first Std Fill Fiberglass Stock to so well. The only change was re-stocking with the Edge Shell. Why is this happening ? I believe (and could be way off base) that the air bead fill used in the Edge as well as the Carbon Fiber shell create a considerably different harmonic within the stock as the rifle is fired. In the amount of time it takes the bullet to exit the muzzle the barreled action is rattling around in a radically different manner than with the denser fiberglass fill. We have also seen a couple of our Edge Stocked 300 Wtby's crack the web of inletting behind the magazine box and the trigger slot in the stock. When this was observed we began to install not only the three aluminum pillars under each guard screw but two threaded cross bolts behind the recoil lug and in the web behind the magazine mortise. Once done we have never seen a Edge stock crack again. This leads me to believe the air bead foam is very likely expanding much more than the fiberglass under the recoil and allows the barreled action to oscillate or vibrate under the recoil moment more so than with the denser fiberglass filled stock. Can we get an Edge stocked rifle to shoot as accurately as with the fiberglass stock ? yes, but it takes more time and it may only shoot one load very well were as in a Fiberglass stock it may shoot three to four other loads just as well. The less the recoil the less the harmonic vibrations there is to generate this anomaly. A case in point would require you to look at the 1000 yard shooters today, I would guess none are using an Edge Shell, and more and more guys are reverting back to some type of solid wood stock, laminate, etc, to reduce as much vibration as they can as the round is traveling down the bore.

In the real world Phil is correct in his statement "how accurate does it have to be?" We installed the Edge Legend stock on his 9.3x62 to allow him to pack out all those brown bear hides and save some weight in the trip back to camp. For that purpose the Edge shell in a 338 or similar recoil cartridge should work just fine in my opinion, just don't go all to pieces when your old tried and true 1/4" Elk load doesn't shoot like it used to in the factory stock. You may have more work to do once the Edge Shell is installed on "Old Meat In The Pot". We really like the Edge Shell for certin applications.I have used one myself quite a bit wrapped around a 300 Wtby barreled action and I can assure you it shoots just dandy, but with only one load. If I thought the Edge shell was a problem I damn sure wouldn't install them on Legends or hunt with one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DARCEY
i dont think i misquoted you , ....i guess i should have eleborated a bit more!
no where did i say you dont like the edge stock
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-64 with the std contour barrel re-bored to 9.3x62 and cut off to 20.5"

It is in a McM Compact pattern Edge stock, and it has held for over 150 rounds, mostly full power 286 grain loads. I'm not sure if that qualifies as "tested", but it has held up with no cracks or other problems.

I did remove a lot of the soft filling and bed with devcon steel epoxy, not just behind the recoil lug, but along the sides ahead and behind the recoil lug so the epoxy could tie to the shell.

That is slightly less recoil than a 375 Ruger would generate, but is also considerably lighter than most 375 rugers would be built up, so the abuse on the stock would be similar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.Darcey do you think the brake would help?458Win I think I read somewhere that you had a 375 HH M70 with a turned down barrel.How does it affect balence without going to a lightweight stock.The barrel on my 375 Ruger is a factory M70 338 Win profile and I was concerned about using heavy stock with such a light barrel.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not like breaks myself, if you like them, by all means but it won't help or hinder the proformence of the stock no matter what the construction

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"free-miner" is the buddy of mine I refered to and I also find D'Arcy's comments here very helpful. I am really pleased with the Hunter's Compact Edge that FM put on my P-64 Fwt-.270W.; this is as close to a "perfect" hunting stock as I can envision and I kinda think that I now gotta put my last and most favourite P-64 Alaskan-.338WM into one of the blanks of Darcy's "Legend" pattern that FM has.

The quality of these stocks beats any other I have used and the light weight is a real bonus when humping a pack plus rifle in BC's typical terrain.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edge construction stocks are used in BR. Any weight saved from the stock can be added to the barrel.
I have several edge stocks on custom rifles and have never found them to be picky or lack accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a "Sako Classic" Micky model in Edge technology last Thursday and I have my Brno 21 action, Krieger bbl., Recknagel trigger, unknown but very nice steel-inside button-bottom metal also on hand.

I am adding a Recknagel banded ramp front, adjustable peep rear and probably lever Talleys to this and a Satterlee safety when I can get one. Then, the parts go to Ralf Martini for assembly into a nice, light .280Rem.

This should be a super "mountain rifle" and one that will incorporate the parts I consider "best" on the current market.